University leased flats
Heriot-Watt manages a number of flats that are owned by private landlords but administered by the University. This means that your contract is with the University and you deal with our own Accommodation Office on campus, rather that direct with the landlords.
The flats are located in various parts of the city, usually near or on bus routes (25, 34 or 45) to the campus. Rents tend to be competitive and we monitor the standard of accommodation to make sure it is of an acceptable level.
Leased flats are offered to full-time registered students and are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Unfortunately, we cannot reserve properties for you before you arrive as you must view the property before you secure your tenancy. You must have an unconditional offer or be a full time registered student and have no outstanding debt due to the University before you apply for a leased flat.
We generally offer properties as a whole and not on a room only basis.
- Fully furnished, 1–6 bedroom flats located in Leith, Haymarket, Gorgie, Dalry, Chesser, Sighthill, Currie and Balerno.
- No administration fees.
- No guarantors required.
- Reservation fee of £300 which is then refunded your initial accommodation invoice.
- Rents vary from £350–£400 per room in flat (excluding bills and internet connection).
- 12 month tenancies.
- Contracts run September to August each year.
- Issues/problems reported directly to the Accommodation Office on campus.
Download our Flats for rent guide to find out more about our leased flats and to see a checklist of things you should consider when looking for a flat to rent.
Finding a flatmate
There are several ways you can find a flatmate to help share the cost of living in a University leased flat: