Where we rank
Heriot-Watt University is consistently ranked at a high level across a number of key university league tables.
From our research performance to student satisfaction, graduate employability and the quality of our teaching, Heriot-Watt's status as a world-class university is independently confirmed.
Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings use 13 performance indicators to examine universities across all of their core missions – teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook.
- Ranked in the top 300 universities worldwide (251-300).
Times Higher Education 'Table of Tables'
THE's 'Table of Tables' is the combined results of the three main UK university league tables - the Good University Guide (published by The Times and The Sunday Times), The Guardian and The Complete University Guide.
- In the Table of Tables 2015: Heriot-Watt is placed 27th in the UK and 3rd in Scotland
Times Higher Education Golden Age Rankings 2020
THE's Golden Age University Rankings measures universities established between 1945 and 1967 for their teaching, research, citations, international outlook and industry income.
- Heriot-Watt is ranked 47th out of 308 institutions.
The Complete University Guide 2021
- 29th in the UK and 5th in Scotland
- We are ranked in the top ten in the UK for three of our subject areas - Building (1st), Town and Country Planning and Landscape Design (9th), and Mathematics (10th).
- We are ranked in the top three in Scotland for Building (1st), Art and Design (2nd), Chemical Engineering (2nd), Town and Country Planning (2nd), Mechanical Engineering (3rd), German (3rd) and Mathematics (3rd).
- We are ranked 2nd in the UK and are top in Scotland for the amount spent on student facilities.
National Student Survey 2019
The National Student Survey (NSS) is a survey which gathers honest feedback from final year undergraduates, studying full time.
- Ranked 35th in the UK for overall satisfaction, a climb of 56 places since last year.
- At least 90% of students were satisfied overall with their course in 10 of our 22 subject areas.
- Joint 1st in the UK for Human Resource Management – 100% of respondents were satisfied overall with their experience at Heriot-Watt.
- 3rd in the UK for Economics - based on overall satisfaction.
- 1st in Scotland for: Economics; Human Resource Management - based on overall satisfaction.
- 1st in Scotland for: Chemical, Process & Energy Engineering; Building - based on the average score across all questions.
- 4th in the UK for: Civil Engineering; Building - based on overall satisfaction.
- 6th in the UK for: Physics; Statistics - based on the average score across all questions.
- 9th in the UK for: Mathematics - based on overall satisfaction.
- 2nd in Scotland for: Mechanical Engineering; Others in Language and Area Studies - based on overall satisfaction.
- 3rd in Scotland for: Chemistry – based on the average score across all questions.
- 3rd in Scotland for: Finance; Mathematics – based on on overall satisfaction.
All NSS data is available on the Discover Uni website.
Guardian University Guide 2020
View the Guardian University league table
- Ranked 61st in the UK and 8th in Scotland.
- Top 10 in UK for Chemistry, Engineering: Civil and Engineering: Mechanical.
- 1st in Scotland for Chemistry and Engineering-Mechanical.
- 2nd in Scotland for Building and Town & Country Planning.
Times Higher Education - '100 Under 50' World University Ranking 2015
- 77th in the world, 10th the UK
- 11th in the world and first in Scotland, based on the 'international outlook' indicator from THE World University Rankings. This indicator examines a university’s international student numbers, its percentage of international staff and the proportion of its research papers published with a co-author from at least one other country.
View the THE 100 under 50 universities 2015 rankings
The Times / The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020
In the UK:
- Overall, 33rd out of 131 institutions in the UK, and 6th in Scotland.
By subject area:
- First in Scotland – five years in a row – for Building, and 3rd in the UK.
- Second in Scotland for General Engineering, and 7th in the UK.
- Second in Scotland for Mechanical Engineering, and 7th in the UK.
- Second in Scotland for Chemical Engineering.
- Second in Scotland for Physics & Astronomy.
- Second in Scotland for Town & Country Planning & Landscape, and 9th in the UK.
- Third in Scotland for Chemistry, Civil Engineering, German and Mathematics.
- 17th in the UK for graduate salaries six months after starting work, with an average of £24,500 a year.
QS World's University Rankings 2020
The QS World University Rankings table has been published annually since 2004. It features more than 1000 universities with each measured on a variety of factors including academic reputation and employer reputation.
- We rank 301st in the world, 35th in UK and 6th in Scotland.
View the QS World University Rankings 2019/20.
QS Top 50 under 50 2015
A ranking of the world's top 50 universities established within the last 50 years.
- 34th in the world, 3rd in the UK and 1st in Scotland.
View the QS Top 50 under 50 2015
QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018
Top 150 worldwide for Chemical Engineering and Civil Engineering
Top 200 worldwide for Electrical Engineering
Ranked in the top universities worldwide for 12 subjects: Linguistics; Computer Science and Information Systems; Chemical Engineering; Civil and Structural Engineering; Economics; Electrical Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; Chemistry; Mathematics; Physics and Astronomy; Business and Management Studies; Statistics and Operational Research (Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics).
View the QS Top University Rankings by Subject 2018.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
REF 2014 named Heriot-Watt in the top 25% of UK universities, with 82% of our research ranked as world-leading or internationally excellent. We ranked 9th university in the UK and 1st in Scotland for research impact.
Find out more about our REF 2014 results.
The Times / Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019 ranked Heriot-Watt joint 17th in the UK and 1st in Scotland for graduate salaries 6 months after graduation.
95% of Heriot-Watt students are in employment or further study within six months of graduation
Academic Ranking of World Universities 2019
Heriot-Watt is ranked in the top 600 in the world (ranked 501-600) and in the UK top 50 (ranked 37-43) by the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2019.
We have been listed for nine subjects in the Global Ranking of Academic Subjects:
- In the top 75 worldwide for Telecommunication Engineering.
- In the top 150 for Mathematics
- In the top 200 for Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
- In the top 300 for Electrical & Electronic Engineering.
- In the top 400 for Environmental Science & Engineering.
- In the top 500 for Physics, Chemistry and Management.
The Economist: British university rankings
In 2017, The Economist released a league table which considers how much people earn five years after they graduate. Heriot-Watt ranked sixteenth of 125 UK universities.
View The Economist rankings.