Textiles, fashion and clothing design are fundamental in modern society and culture, and their study can lead to exciting and diverse opportunities worldwide.
Our unique range of textile and fashion programmes are designed to match the needs of the global, and increasingly fast-moving, textile and fashion design industries.
Our unrivalled facilities are often named as the deciding factor for students choosing to study Textiles and Design at Heriot-Watt. Our extensive range of facilities include superbly equipped workshops for knit, weave, print and apparel, spacious studios and computer and CAD/CAM suites.
Our undergraduate programmes cover the design of constructed and printed textiles, fashion technology, fashion design, fashion communication, fashion marketing and retailing. This range of programmes is designed to suit students' aspirations and a choice of wide ranging career paths, from design practitioner through to marketing, styling, retailing and buying.
- Design for Textiles (Fashion, Interior, Art) BA (Hons)
- Fashion BA (Hons)
- Fashion Womenswear BA (Hons)
- Fashion Menswear BA (Hons)
- Fashion Communication BA (Hons)
- Fashion Marketing and Retailing BA (Hons)
- Fashion Technology BSc (Hons)
- Interior Design BA (Hons)
Study and travel awards include:
- Ede and Ravenscroft Prize
- Worshipful Company of Woolmen of the City of London
- Worshipful Company of Dyers of the City of London
- The Woolmark Company
- The Worshipful Company of Weavers
- The Worshipful Company of Framework Knitters.
Industrial placements/work experience
Fashion Technology students have the opportunity to undertake industrial experience at the end of Year 2 by opting for an additional year working in the fashion industry. The School has excellent international links with academic and professional textile organisations, providing opportunities for study abroad. Study tours to Paris and London are encouraged, together with visits to studios, trade fairs and exhibitions.
The School of Textiles and Design hosts an annual Degree Show which is open to the public. Selected students will also exhibit at our prestigious Graduate Exhibition.