Dr Grant Wright
+44 (0) 131 451 8261
The programme offers a thorough grounding in the major branches of Civil Engineering, but with a focus on aspects most relevant to Structural Engineering. The aims of the programme are similar to those for Civil Engineering, but with a stronger emphasis on the skills and knowledge appropriate to Structural Engineering design. In addition, the programme aims to cultivate skills for the creative development of designs for construction projects. The international dimension of the programme aims to encourage awareness of the global engineering industry and allows students to foster links with Europe, Australia or North America.
All Structural Engineering programmes are supported by the Civil Engineering Industry Advisory Committee, which includes representatives from major multi-national employers offering advice, guidance and work placement opportunities.
Accredited by the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT) on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Accredited by the Institute of Highway Engineers (IHE) on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Accredited by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Accredited by the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE) on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Course contentDetailed course guide
For more information and image galleries of field trips and workshops visit our 'Further Information' webpage.
Students study courses that are common across the discipline including: Mechanics; Mathematics; and Civil Engineering Applications. Students also participate in a varied programme of site visits to help emphasise the real world application of their learning.
Expands on the basics of Level 1, with subjects such as: Hydraulics and Hydrology; Civil Engineering Materials; Analysis of Determinate Structures; and Surveying and Monitoring in the Built and Natural Environment.
Students also have the opportunity to participate in the Constructionarium programme, where they get hands-on construction experience of the civil engineering industry.
Is concerned with engineering principles, and subjects studied include: Design of Steel and Concrete Elements; Indeterminate Structures Transportation Engineering; and Geotechnics.
In year 4 you have the opportunity to apply to study at a host institution abroad in either Europe, North America or Australia as part of an exchange programme. The content of study will include design and technical components.
Students complete a research dissertation and a professional design project. Core courses include: Structural Materials; Stability and Dynamics; and Earthquake Engineering. There are also options in this year allowing students to specialise in subjects such as: FEA stress Analysis; Human Factors; and Construction Financial Management.
Students also have the opportunity to participate on a field trip to Barcelona, looking at the design of some of the worlds’ most iconic structures.
Work and study
This is what our MEng Structural Engineering with International Studies students are doing six months after graduating:
- 80% are working
- 5% are studying
- 0% are working and studying.
- 90% of those working are in a professional/managerial position six months after graduating.
- The average salary of students six months after graduating: £25000
- The average UK salary of students six months after graduating from a similar course: £25000
These are the most common jobs students go into six months after graduating:
- Engineering professionals
- Sales occupations
- Elementary occupations
- Design occupations
- Architects, town planners and surveyors
- Highers AAAB or ABBBB to include Mathematics at Grade B.
- A-Levels ABC or BBB to include Mathematics at B
- Scottish Baccalaureate Pass with Advanced Higher Mathematics
- Int. Baccalaureate 31 points to include 5 in Higher Level Mathematics
- Advanced Highers BB to include Mathematics plus AAAB at Higher
- A-Levels ABB to include Mathematics
- Scottish Baccalaureate Distinction including Advanced Higher Mathematics
- Int. Baccalaureate 35 points including 6 in Higher Level Mathematics
- HNC A in graded unit with at least SCQF level 7 or NQF level 4 in a relevant mathematics course.
- HND AB in graded units with A in final graded unit and at least SCQF level 7 or NQF level 4 in a relevant mathematics course.
- For all years, applications are welcomed from holders of non-school qualifications, mature candidates and overseas students.
- All EU and overseas candidates will require an IELTS overall grade 6.0 (or equivalent) with no component lower than 5.5 or equivalent.
- BTEC Relevant BTEC qualifications are accepted; please contact Admissions Tutor for further details.
Fees and funding
|Status*||Scotland / EU**||England / Northern Ireland / Wales||International|
|Fee||Paid by SAAS||£9,250||£17,440|
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
** European Union countries, not including England, Northern Ireland or Wales.
Scholarships and bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales starting undergraduate degree courses in 2018
In addition to government maintenance loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships.
You might be interested in…
Our Edinburgh Campus has some of the best purpose-built sports facilities in the region, as well as an active Student Union and lots of student clubs and societies.
Heriot-Watt consistently achieves high ranking across a number of key university league tables.