+44 (0)131 451 3474
In the first year of the BEng Engineering course you’ll have the chance to study a range of subjects. Beyond this, you’ll be able to focus on a particular area of expertise to work towards your Engineering degree.
From a wide choice of subjects, you’ll select eight courses to match your interests – usually choosing from two or three subject areas. On the BEng Engineering course, most students choose subjects in Engineering. All subjects include some form of industrial design,whether Mechanical, Electrical, Civil or Chemical Engineering.
92% of the students were satisfied with the quality of the course. 87% of the students said that the teaching staff made the subject interesting and 96% of the students said that our staff were “Good at explaining things”.
Course contentDetailed course guide
Each student is allocated to a Director of Studies, who assists in the design of an individualised programme. The major disciplines available are: Mathematics; Civil Engineering; Building Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; Chemical Engineering; Electrical and Electronic Engineering; Robotics and Cybertronics; Computer Science; Information Systems; and Physics.
Work and study
This is what our BEng Engineering students are doing six months after graduating:
- 77% are working
- 7% are studying
- 3% are working and studying.
- 83% of those working are in a professional/managerial position six months after graduating.
- The average salary of students six months after graduating: £25000
- The average UK salary of students six months after graduating from a similar course: £25000
These are the most common jobs students go into six months after graduating:
- Engineering professionals
- Elementary occupations
- Administrative occupations
- Quality and regulatory professionals
- Skilled trades occupations
- Sales occupations
- Information technology and telecommunications professionals
- Business and public service associate professionals
- Highers AABB or BBBBC
- A-Levels BBB
- HNC Depending on area of interest, we accept a wide range of HNCs and HNDs for Level 1 entry. Please contact us for further details.
- Int. Baccalaureate 31 points to include Higher Level Mathematics and Physics
- Scottish Baccalaureate Pass CC (studying Advanced Higher Maths and Physics is advised)
- Additional information Qualifications should include Mathematics and Physics (or Technological Studies). BEng Engineering is only available to Level 1 entrants.
Fees and funding
|Status*||Scotland / EU**||England / Northern Ireland / Wales||International|
|Fee||Paid by SAAS||£9,250||£17,440|
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
** European Union countries, not including England, Northern Ireland or Wales.
Scholarships and bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales starting undergraduate degree courses in 2018
In addition to government maintenance loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships.
You might be interested in…
Our Edinburgh Campus has some of the best purpose-built sports facilities in the region, as well as an active Student Union and lots of student clubs and societies.
Heriot-Watt consistently achieves high ranking across a number of key university league tables.