Dr. Alexander Belyaev
+44 (0)131 451 3437
Increasingly, computers are networked together within organisations, nationally and internationally, offering access to vast amounts of information. The rapid development of electronic systems provides a background against which engineers are required to pioneer new developments, and to deliver systems that are robust, reliable and user friendly. As a result there is expected to be an intense demand for practitioners who are adept in working in the niche area referred to as firmware. Computing and Electronics contains the basic material in hardware and software that provides the essential grounding for the design and development of modern integrated systems. This is a joint course between the Department of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering and the Department of Computer Science.
The MEng course is aimed at students who consistently maintain a high level of academic performance and who, by the end of Year 3, show the academic ability, flair and interest necessary to benefit from the enhanced course. It involves an industrial placement, providing an opportunity for practical experience and to develop management competencies appropriate for a range of industrial enterprises.
Accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional.
Accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for Incorporated Engineer and partially meeting the academic requirement for a Chartered Engineer.
Accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Science Council for the purposes of partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Scientist.
Accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer and partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Course contentDetailed course guide
Technical competence is developed in high-level language programming, basic methods for software engineering, operation of a simple digital computer, concepts of circuit theory and the ability to develop simple digital and logic designs.
Develops the Level 1 material in the topics of data structures and algorithm design, circuit analysis, signals, computer architecture, and internet communications.
Teamwork, the issues faced by the qualified practitioner, specialist study of computation and information systems, and digital and communication systems are covered. A quarter of your time will be spent on a team-based product development project incorporating electronic, mechanical and computer aspects.
As well as working on a thesis project, students choose from an extensive range of options including: Embedded Systems, Communications, Digital Signal Processing, Distributed Systems Programming, Mobile Communications and Programming, Robotics and Automation, 3D Modelling and Animation, Image Processing, and Network Applications. An individual project and dissertation offers opportunities to demonstrate practical skills, organisational ability and initiative in a major piece of firmware development.
Work and study
This is what our BEng (Hons) Computing and Electronics students are doing six months after graduating:
- 95% are working
- 0% are studying
- 5% are working and studying.
- 90% of those working are in a professional/managerial position six months after graduating.
- The average salary of students six months after graduating: £26000
- The average UK salary of students six months after graduating from a similar course: £26000
These are the most common jobs students go into six months after graduating:
- Engineering professionals
- Information technology and telecommunications professionals
- Elementary occupations
- Science, engineering and technology associate professionals
- Highers AABB (MEng) or BBBBC (BEng)
- A-Levels BBB
- Scottish Baccalaureate Pass with BC in Advanced Higher Mathematics and Physics
- Int. Baccalaureate 29 points to include Higher Level Mathematics and Physics
- HNC A in graded unit of relevant HNC with additional mathematics
- Additional information The subjects studied must include Mathematics and Physics, Technological Studies or Engineering Science. Applicants may be admitted with a range of alternative qualifications including BTEC.
- Advanced Highers BB in Mathematics and Physics and AABB at Higher
- A-Levels ABB with Mathematics and Physics
- Scottish Baccalaureate Distinction with AB in Adv. Higher Maths and Physics
- HND AA in graded units of relevant HND with additional Mathematics
- Additional information In all cases including Mathematics and Physics.
- Please contact Admissions Tutor to discuss further.
- At the end of Level 3, students can apply to transfer to the MEng course.
- Students with other qualifications, both from within the UK and overseas are encouraged to apply. Please contact the Admissions Tutor for clarification on any aspect of the admissions process.
- BTEC Relevant BTEC qualifications are accepted; please contact Admissions Tutor for further details
|Status*||Scotland / EU**||England / Northern Ireland / Wales***||International|
|Fee||Paid by SAAS||£9,250||£|
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
** European Union countries (not including England, Northern Ireland or Wales).
*** 'Rest of the UK' (RUK) students entering at Level 1 receive a fee waiver of one year's tuition fee. Normally this will be the final year, or a year during which students study abroad (either at a partnership institution, or at one of Heriot-Watt's overseas campuses).
Scholarships and bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales starting undergraduate degree courses in 2018
In addition to government maintenance loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships.