Dr. Alexander Belyaev
+44 (0)131 451 3437
This programme involves an industrial placement, providing high-calibre firmware engineers with the additional management competencies appropriate for a range of industrial enterprises. It is run with the close co-operation of a variety of companies which provide opportunities for practical experience and contribute to the planning of the programme. The MEng programme is aimed at students who consistently maintain a high level of academic performance and who, by the end of Level 3, show the academic ability, flair and interest necessary to benefit from the enhanced programme.
Accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional.
Accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of fully meeting the further learning academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional.
Accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Science Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Scientist.
Accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Course contentDetailed course guide
Is designed to bring together the analytic skills of the computer scientist and the development and design skills of the electronics engineer. Computing and Electronics takes a design-centred approach and focuses on Software Engineering and Digital and Electronic Design.
Students develop an understanding of the Design and Implementation of Algorithms for Manipulating Advanced Data Structures, which are advanced principles in Software Engineering and Circuit Analysis
Teamwork, the issues faced by the qualified practitioner, specialist study of computation and information systems and digital and communication systems are covered.
As well as working on a thesis project, students choose from an extensive range of options including: Embedded Systems, Communications, Digital Signal Processing, Distributed Systems Programming, Mobile Communications and Programming, Robotics and Automation, 3D Modelling and Animation, Image Processing and Network Applications. An individual project and dissertation offers opportunities to demonstrate practical skills, organisational ability and initiative in a major piece of firmware development.
The summer and the first semester form a six-month industrial placement. During the second semester students choose from a range of advanced Electrical and Electronic Engineering topics.
Work and study
This is what our MEng Computing and Electronics students are doing six months after graduating:
- 85% are working
- 15% are studying
- 0% are working and studying.
- 100% of those working are in a professional/managerial position six months after graduating.
- The average salary of students six months after graduating: £29000
- The average UK salary of students six months after graduating from a similar course: £26000
These are the most common jobs students go into six months after graduating:
- Information technology and telecommunications professionals
- Engineering professionals
- Teaching and educational professionals
- Quality and regulatory professionals
- Highers AABB (MEng) or BBBBC (BEng)
- A-Levels BBB
- HNC A in graded unit of relevant HNC with additional mathematics
- Int. Baccalaureate 29 points to include Higher Level Mathematics and Physics
- Scottish Baccalaureate Pass with BC in Advanced Higher Mathematics and Physics
- Additional information The subjects studied must include Mathematics and Physics, Technological Studies or Engineering Science. Applicants may be admitted with a range of alternative qualifications including BTEC.
- A-Levels ABB with Mathematics and Physics
- Advanced Highers BB in Mathematics and Physics and AABB at Higher
- HND AA in graded units of relevant HND with additional Mathematics
- Scottish Baccalaureate Distinction with AB in Adv. Higher Maths and Physics
- Additional information In all cases including Mathematics and Physics.
- Additional information Please contact Admissions Tutor to discuss further.
- Additional information At the end of Level 3, students can apply to transfer to the MEng programme. Students with other qualifications, both from within the UK and overseas are encouraged to apply. Please contact the Admissions Tutor for clarification on any aspect of the admissions process.
Fees and funding
|Status*||Scotland / EU**||England / Northern Ireland / Wales||International|
|Fee||Paid by SAAS||£9,250||£17,440|
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
** European Union countries, not including England, Northern Ireland or Wales.
Scholarships and bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales starting undergraduate degree courses in 2018
In addition to government maintenance loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships.
You might be interested in…
Our Edinburgh Campus has some of the best purpose-built sports facilities in the region, as well as an active Student Union and lots of student clubs and societies.
Heriot-Watt consistently achieves high ranking across a number of key university league tables.