Dr Arno Kraft
+44 (0)131 451 8040
Chemistry is at the heart of biology and this degree is attractive to students who want to combine their favourite subjects of Chemistry and Biology and, hence, understand the chemistry underlying the animal and plant kingdoms. Animals and plants are composed of biological cells, which are complex entities whose functions and communications are controlled by messenger molecules. Graduates are full chemistry students who have a specialism in biochemistry, cell biology and biological chemistry at an advanced level. The opportunity to transfer to Chemistry with Pharmaceutical Chemistry is available up to the beginning of Year 3.
Accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry for partially meeting the academic criteria for Chartered Chemist (CChem).
Course contentDetailed course guide
Fundamentals of Chemistry, with Mathematics and Biology courses. Lab work plays a key role in the curriculum.
Core Organic, Inorganic and Physical Chemistry, with Cell Biology and Metabolism courses
Core Inorganic, Organic and Physical Chemistry along with Molecular and Cell Biology
Advanced Inorganic, Organic and Physical Chemistry, together with special topics. BSc students also undertake a 16-week research project in a biochemical aspect of chemistry. MChem students undertake a special practical course
Work and study
This is what our BSc (Hons) Chemistry with Biochemistry students are doing six months after graduating:
- 55% are working
- 35% are studying
- 0% are working and studying.
- 75% of those working are in a professional/managerial position six months after graduating.
- The average salary of students six months after graduating: £21000
- The average UK salary of students six months after graduating from a similar course: £20000
These are the most common jobs students go into six months after graduating:
- Natural and social science professionals
- Sales occupations
- Science, engineering and technology associate professionals
- Engineering professionals
- Research and development managers
- Business and public service associate professionals
- Customer service occupations
- Highers AABB or BBBBC including Chemistry
- A-Levels BBB including Chemistry
- Scottish Baccalaureate BC in Adv. Higher with Chemistry B, Disciplinary Project C and Higher B
- Int. Baccalaureate 30 points to include Higher Level Chemistry at minimum Grade 5
- HNC A in graded unit. Additional HNC profile requirement. Please contact Admissions Tutor for further information.
- Additional information Transfer from BSc to MChem is possible up to the end of Year 3 with a Chemistry average greater than 60%.
- Advanced Highers AB in Chemistry and Mathematics, plus AABB at Higher.
- A-Levels ABB including Chemistry and Mathematics
- Scottish Baccalaureate AB in Adv. Higher with Chemistry and Maths, Disciplinary Project B and Higher B
- Int. Baccalaureate 35 points to include Higher Level Mathematics and Chemistry (both at minimum grade 6).
- HND BB in graded units. Graded tariff is for guidance only. Please contact Admissions Tutor for further information.
- HND AA in graded units. Please contact Admissions Tutor for further information.
- BTEC Relevant BTEC qualifications are accepted; please contact Admissions Tutor for further details.
Fees and funding
|Status*||Scotland / EU**||England / Northern Ireland / Wales||International|
|Fee||Paid by SAAS||£9,250||£17,440|
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
** European Union countries, not including England, Northern Ireland or Wales.
Scholarships and bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales starting undergraduate degree courses in 2018
In addition to government maintenance loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships.
You might be interested in…
Our Edinburgh Campus has some of the best purpose-built sports facilities in the region, as well as an active Student Union and lots of student clubs and societies.
Heriot-Watt consistently achieves high ranking across a number of key university league tables.