Professor Claudia V Angelelli / Mr Kester Newill
+44 (0)131 451 3284
MSc Translating with Entrepreneurship is designed to provide graduates of BA (or equivalent) language programmes the opportunity to develop key transferable professional skills which will provide entry to careers in translation, administrative and project management in translation agencies, international businesses and private entrepreneurial ventures where excellent communication skills and a high level of competence in English plus one or more further language(s) are required. The languages available are Chinese, French, German, Spanish.
The programme specifically aims to enable students to:
- acquire and demonstrate a critical understanding of theories and concepts from translation studies and to apply these to the processes involved in translating and communication for a range of purposes, including private venturing;
- develop a critical understanding of intercultural and interlingual issues in international contexts
- develop analytical skills using theoretical concepts applied to practical translation and communication problems
- master the skills and techniques of translating to professional standards;
- develop original insights into problems of translation and communication;
- reflect critically on the relationship between theory and practice;
- review, organise and evaluate evidence and reflect and comment critically on it;
- the mandatory entrepreneurship element of the programme aims to foster an interest in generating ideas, to develop the students' understanding of the commercial world and to learn to apply the necessary skills to undertake enterprising activities, whether in the context of independent entrepreneurship or within existing organisations.
Heriot-Watt University is regarded as one of the strongest universities for the teaching of translation by many within the industry. This is reflected in our professional membership of Conférence Internationale permanente d’Instituts Universitaires de Traducteurs et Interprètes (CIUTI) a multinational organisation of universities which is dedicated to upholding a standard of excellence in the teaching of interpreting and translating.
Our CIUTI recognition is a guarantee that the course content, teaching and examinations on our Interpreting and Translating programme are conducted at the highest standard and it is a mark of quality which is recognised by major international employers of interpreters and translators.
Course contentDetailed course guide
|Semester 1 (Sept - Dec)||Semester 2 (Jan - April)|
|Creativity and Enterprise||Entrepreneurship|
|Translation Technologies||Translation and Interpreting Studies|
|Translation Practice (1)||Translation Practice (2)|
Optional courses, Semester 1
- Business Communication
- International Politics
- Cross-Cultural Perspectives
- Intercultural Communication in the Workplace
- Global Heritage
- Liaison and Public Service Interpreting
- Beginners language elective 1
Optional courses, Semester 2
- Project Management
- Liaison Interpreting for Business
- Intercultural Perspectives on Sustainable Development
- Beginners language elective 2