Postgraduate enquiries (EPS)
+44 (0) 131 451 3023
This is an advanced MSc programme in the rapidly expanding area of telecommunications engineering and offers an appropriate balance between theory and practice (hardware and software based projects) and is aimed at telecommunications, electrical, electronic, physics/mathematics and computer engineering graduates.
The programme is concerned with the use and application of engineering principles in the specification, design, development and deployment of telecommunications. Students will develop a detailed knowledge and critical understanding of the core skills in telecommunication networks and use a significant range of principal and specialist skills, techniques and practices in the domain of current and future (5G and beyond) telecommunication networks.
The programme will develop graduates of a calibre capable of developing and implementing creative solutions to the problems encountered in terrestrial networks, satellite networks, and Internet of Things (IoT).
- Full time: 1 year (MSc) / 9 months (PG Diploma)
- Part time: 2 years (MSc)
Course contentDetailed course guide
- Critical Analysis and Research Preparation
- MSc Thesis Project
- Information Theory and Communications
- Satellite Networks and Communicationn
- Sampling and Computational Imaging
- Sensors, Actuators and IoT
- Antenna Engineering and Applications
- Multi-Disciplinary Group Project
- Computer Network Security
- Scalable Inference and Deep Learning
- Fibres and Nonlinear Optics
- Principle Of Mobile Communications
- RF Mobile Communications Systems.
Preferably, but not exclusively, a First or Second Class Honours Degree in a suitable numerate Science or Engineering subject. Recognised overseas equivalents will apply.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability. The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.5 or equivalent. We offer a range of English language courses to help you meet the English language requirement prior to starting your masters programme:
- 14 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with no more than one skill at 4.5);
- 10 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with minimum of 5.0 in all skills);
- 6 weeks English (for IELTS 5.5 with minimum of 5.5 in reading & writing and minimum of 5.0 in speaking & listening)
|Scotland / Non-UK EU||£7168||£3584|
|England / Northern Ireland / Wales||£7168||£3584|
* If you are unsure which category you fall in to, you should complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess your fees.
Scholarships and bursaries
We aim to encourage well-qualified, ambitious students to study with us and we offer a wide variety of scholarships and bursaries to achieve this. Over £6 million worth of opportunities are available in fee and stipend scholarships, and more than 400 students benefit from this support.
View our full range of postgraduate taught scholarships.