Postgraduate enquiries (EPS)
+44 (0) 131 451 3023
This Masters in Sustainable Engineering will let you assess sustainability issues and formulate strategies to implement practical solutions in business and society. The course aims to produce Sustainability Engineers who can make optimum use of energy and materials – embracing concepts such as life-cycle analysis and recycling within the design process.
The course has been developed together with industry and covers a practical framework to meet the challenge of responsibly using the world’s finite natural resources. This includes narrowing the ‘sustainable gap’ and developing an awareness of environmental degradation.
As part of the Masters in Sustainable Engineering dissertation, you’ll undertake ‘in-house’ laboratory-based projects. You’ll also be able to take environmental management system assessments or technical design analyses within companies too. These include William Grant & Sons, Caledonian Alloys, United Wire Ltd, and the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency.
The full-time course starts in mid September and lasts one year. The course can also be taken part-time over two years, as a nine month Postgraduate Diploma or a six month Certificate.
Course contentDetailed course guide
The MSc course will:
- Introduce, develop and reinforce a working knowledge of the relevant science and technology within a holistic framework (Environmental Science and Engineering, Energy, Recycling, Sustainability Management, Environmental Economics).
- Foster an awareness of the context and of the ’behind the scenes’ framework within which the environmental degradation and sustainability problem and solution are enacted.
- Break down the barriers between and within disciplines and to promote the required synergy and mutual understanding between the various braches of learning so that a holistic view of problems and solutions can be developed.
- To introduce, develop and explore a Total Sustainable Management programme methodology, which can be practically applied within a business framework.
- Foundations of Energy
- Process Engineering 1
- Environmental Foundation Science
- Economics of Renewable Energy
- Principles of Recycling
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Sustainable Processing
- Critical Analysis and Research Preparation
- Sustainability Dissertation