Marine Biology and Ecology at Heriot-Watt offers strong research-led teaching programmes which reflect the active involvement of teaching staff in research and consultancy in the main employment areas for marine science.
Detailed information about staff research interests and expertise can be found on the Centre for Marine Biodiversity and Biotechnology (CMBB) website.
All of our programmes are modular and interdisciplinary in nature and form part of an integrated Marine, Environment and Climate Change Cluster, allowing flexibility and the opportunity for students to tailor the content to their existing experience and career aspirations.
Many of our programmes are underpinned by extensive practical field work - including specialised expeditions to places such as Orkney and Malaysia – with an emphasis on engagement in real world projects that lead to publication opportunities (you will find examples on the individual programme prospectus pages under 'Programme Content'). For example, our highly popular Tropical Coral Reef course includes field work in Malaysia. Watch a video of the 2017 field course.
This approach provides our graduates with excellent job prospects, leading to opportunities in industry, consultancy and relevant research (examples of career paths can be found on the individual programme prospectus pages under 'Overview').
Join us on Facebook to discuss the programme with current students and alumni.
- Climate Change: Managing the Marine Environment MSc/Diploma/Certificate
- Integrative Marine Data Skills MSc/Diploma
- Marine Biodiversity and Biotechnology MSc/Diploma/Certificate
- Marine Planning for Sustainable Development MSc/Diploma
- Marine Renewable Energy MSc/Diploma
- Marine Resource Development and Protection MSc/Diploma/Certificate
- Marine Science MSc/Diploma