Our Civil, Safety and Water Engineering programmes are delivered by Heriot-Watt’s Institute for Infrastructure and Environment.
Study in a centre of expertise
The Institute for Infrastructure and Environment is one of the leading providers for teaching and research in engineering in the UK. In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF) assessment Heriot-Watt University came 1st in the UK for General Engineering*.
Most degrees within the Civil/Safety/Water Engineering subject are accredited as meeting the requirements for further learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired an Accredited CEng (Partial) BEng (Hons) or an accredited IEng (Full) BEng/BSc (Hons) undergraduate first degree. See the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) for further information.
Access industry expertise
Programmes in this subject area are supported by the Civil Engineering Industry Advisory Committee which includes representatives from major multi-national employers AECOM, ARUP, Balfour Beatty, Halcrow, Jacobs and WSP Group. This committee ensures our programme content is high quality, up-to-date and relevant to industry needs.
*a joint submission with the University of Edinburgh
- Civil Engineering MSc/Diploma
- Civil Engineering and Construction Management MSc/Diploma
- Safety and Risk Management MSc/Diploma
- Safety, Risk and Reliability Engineering MSc/Diploma
- Structural and Foundation Engineering MSc/Diploma
- Water and Environmental Management MSc/Diploma
- Water Technology and Desalination MSc/Diploma