Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Campus
+603 8894 3888
The applications of statistical data science range from economics and medicine, to social and environmental sciences. Our BSc in Statistical Data Science provides a blend of both theoretical and applied elements of modern statistics, and aims to give students the training in modelling, analysing and interpreting real data that is required in the economy, industry and research. The first year of the programme cover basic mathematics, probability and statistics. The final two years focus on specialist topics of statistical modelling and advanced courses in mathematics and data science. A variety of statistical computer packages are used.
- Multivariable Calculus and Real Analysis A
- Linear Algebra
- Actuarial and Financial Mathematics A
- Probability and Statistics A
- Multivariable Calculus and Real Analysis B
- Actuarial and Financial Mathematics B
- Probability and Statistics B
- Finance and Financial Reporting
- Operations Management (Elective)
- Stochastic Processes
- Statistical Models A
- Statistics for Social Science
- Portfolio Theory and Asset Models (Option)
- Human Resource Management (Elective)
- Survival Models
- Statistical Models B
- Bayesian Inference & Computational Methods
- Derivative Markets and Discrete-time Finance (Option)
- Ordinary Differential Equations (Option)
- Statistical Dissertation A
- Statistical Machine Learning
- Continuous-Time Finance (Option)
- Statistical Computing (Option)
- Project Management (Elective)
- Time Series Analysis
- Statistical Dissertation B
- Risk Theory (Option)
- Statistics Special Topic (Option)
- Risk Management: Techniques and Tools (Option)
Due to the near-universal relevance of statistical modelling, career opportunities exist for suitably qualified statisticians in a wide variety of areas, notably, business, insurance, financial consulting, market research, government agencies, the pharmaceutical industry and scientific research in areas such as environmental science.
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Foundation in Science: ABBC – A in Mathematics, B in Physics, B in Chemistry, C in Academic English/Study Skills
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Foundation in Business: ABBC – A in Mathematics, B in Accountancy and Finance, B in Business Management, C in Academic English/Study Skills
- A-Level/STPM: AAB including A in Mathematics
- UEC: 6A including A1 in Mathematics and Advanced Mathematics
- **WACE/SACE: ATAR 90 (WACE: Minimum 80% in Mathematics/SACE: Minimum 17.0 in Mathematics)
- SMA 3 (Indonesia): 8
- IB Diploma: 28 points
- Diploma with high level of attainment in mathematics recognised by the Malaysian Government
- Any other relevant qualification with high level of attainment in mathematics recognised by the Malaysian Government
**Maybe subject to additional school assessment.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, then evidence of proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 is required.
If you do not have IELTS 6.0, we offer a Pre-Sessional English Programme (PSEP) prior to commencing your studies.
View our tuition fees for this course.