- Course code
- KPT/JPS (N/523/6/0265)(PA6194) 08/20
- Delivery type
- 4 years
- Intake date
We have an international research reputation and close connection with the professional and industrial world of science, engineering and technology.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Campus
+603 8894 3888
Electrical and electronic engineering play a significant role in modern society. From the electricity that powers our lives to the mobile phones that enable communication and provide entertainment, the technologies around us inspire wonder. Highly trained engineers are needed to specify and design such systems and devise electronic engineering solutions for future challenges – such as electric transportation, renewable energy generation, robot systems and medical diagnostics. A Bachelor of Engineering degree can provide access to exciting global opportunities.
MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering progression
BEng students who meet the progression requirements for the MEng programme may transfer programmes at the end of Year 2.
Teaching and Assessment
Teaching methods range from lectures, tutorial classes and mentor sessions, to workshop and laboratory activities supported by group and individual projects. Assessment is by examination, coursework, presentations, group project andindividual project, the balance being appropriate to the different teaching methods used in the courses.
It is intended that accreditation by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and Engineering Accreditation Council Malaysia (EAC) will be sought in 2019, when the first cohort of MEng students will have graduated. If the degree programmes meet IET accreditation criteria then the qualifications will be accredited at either Bachelor or Masters level to include all cohort entry dates so far.
Our degrees are offered as 3 year BEng (Bachelor of Engineering) or 4 year MEng (Master of Engineering) qualifications. Our MEng qualification is designed to satisfy the academic requirements set by the Engineering Council UK for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng). Chartered Engineers enjoy excellent prospects, enhanced employability and high salaries. If you prefer to graduate with a BEng after 3 years of study your degree will provide partial fulfilment of the necessary academic requirements for Chartered Engineer Status. For registration by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) the four year undergraduate MEng programme is required plus a summer industrial placement.
View or download full details of core, optional and elective courses/projects.
- Circuits and Analysis
- Digital design and programming
- Mathematics for engineers and scientists 3
- Business awareness, safety and sustainability
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientist 4
- Electromechanical Systems
- Signals and Systems
- Computer Architecture and Embedded Systems
- Physical Electronics and Semiconductors
- System Projects
- Engineering Mathematics and Statistics 3
- Time and Frequency Signal Analysis
- Analogue Electronics
- Electrical Energy Systems
- MEng Group Project 1
- MEng Professional and Industrial Studies
- MEng Group Project 2
- Plus two optional courses in Semester 1 and two optional courses in Semester 2
Project placement or research plus four optional courses in semester 2.
The Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng degree provides a broad education as well as an appropriate measure of specialisation in Advanced Electronic, Electrical and Computer Systems. Graduates enjoy excellent employment prospects throughout industry, financial organisations, government and the professions and are well qualified to join research teams.
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Foundation in Science: CCCC
- A-Level/STPM:BBC including B in Mathematics and Physics.
- SAM: ATAR 75 including B in Mathematics and Physics.
- CPU: 75% including B in Mathematics and Physics.
- UEC: 3A 2B (A in Mathematics and Physics).
- SMA 3: 8.0 in Mathematics and Physics.
- IB Diploma: Minimum 5 in SL Mathematics and Physics.
- Diploma recognised by the Malaysian Government
- Any other relevant qualification recognised by the Malaysian Government.
- The subjects studied must include Mathematics and Physics.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, then evidence of proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 is required.
If you do not have IELTS 6.0, we offer a Pre-Sessional English Programme (PSEP) prior to commencing your studies.
View our tuition fees for this course.