Student life at Heriot-Watt
We pride ourselves on being an international university; international students make up about one third of our student population.
We currently have 7 Tanzanian students studying at our Edinburgh Campus across all levels of study.
Previous students from Tanzania have studied:
Heriot-Watt students are able to come together to learn about and celebrate African and Caribbean cultures through our African & Caribbean Society. The Society runs lots of different activities and social events throughout the year to celebrate diversity and is open to everyone.
Our Tanzanian alumni
Our Tanzanian alumni include professionals in the Ministry of Education, Tanzania Breweries Ltd, the University of Dar-Es-Salaam and Norconsult, among others.
For more details on our application process, get help with your application.
These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.
Year 1 entry
- Students will be considered if they have completed the Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education (ACSE)/National Form VI Examination OR Cambridge Overseas Higher School Certificate (COHSC)/East African Advanced Certificate of Education (EAACE).
- Students holding Cambridge Overseas School Certificate (COSC)/East African Certificate of Education (EACE) OR Certificate of Secondary Education (CSE)/National IV Examination OR the Secondary School Leaving Certificate should consider taking a Foundation Pathway course. We offer Foundation Programmes at our Malaysia and Dubai campuses.
- If you hold A-Levels or the International Baccalaureate, please consult our online prospectus for specific programme entry requirements.
- For most of our Masters level programmes we require a good first degree, in most cases the equivalent to an Upper Second Class Honours degree from a recognised university, in a relevant subject area.
English language requirements
If you do not meet our English language requirements, you can apply to one of our academic English programmes, which are specifically designed to prepare you with the language and study skills needed for academic study.
Tuition fees are listed alongside each programme in the online prospectuses.
Tuition fees are higher for international students. If you are unsure what your residency status is, you can complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess whether you have a relevant connection to the UK that might positively influence your fee status:
Learn more about applying for student support in Scotland.
Scholarships and bursaries
At Heriot-Watt we believe that a university education is an investment in your future. That is why we offer a generous package of scholarships to encourage and support well qualified, ambitious students to come and study with us. See the full list of scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.
The following scholarships are available to all international students who choose to study at Heriot-Watt:
- International Fee Scholarships (School of Textiles & Design)
- International Scholarships Programme (School of Engineering & Physical Sciences)
- Chevening Scholarships
Students from Tanzania may also be eligible for: