Exchange students

We welcome all students who want to do an exchange at Heriot-Watt University, or who want to study here for just a full year or even a semester as part of the wider student career.

European and non-European exchanges

If you are interested in coming to study at Heriot-Watt University as an exchange student you should check with the international office at your institution whether a bilateral agreement has been signed with Heriot-Watt University.

If your institution is one of our exchange partners and covers your subject area, you will have to contact the exchange coordinator at your home institution and ask them about the procedures to follow in order to be nominated to come to study at Heriot-Watt University. Unfortunately, we cannot accept application forms from students who have not been officially nominated by their university.

Once nominated, your home institution will send us your contact details so we can send you an exchange student application form and ECTS learning agreement form.

Applications for study placements in the first semester or full academic year must be returned before mid-June. Application forms for study placements for the second semester must be returned before mid-October.

Once we have accepted your application, we will send you a welcome pack containing a formal acceptance letter along with registration information and a copy of the International Student Guide and Freshers' Guide (if either of these are not available at the time of your acceptance they will be mailed separately over the summer). Details on how to apply for accommodation will also be sent with your welcome pack.

Please contact the Institutional Exchange Coordinator Office (IECO) for more information. You can also check the IECO webpages for the list of exchange partners and information on registration and arrival procedures for exchange students.

Semester / junior year abroad / non-graduating students

If you would like to study at Heriot-Watt for one or two semesters (or as a junior year abroad or non-graduating student), please see our information for visiting students.

Key information

European and non-European exchanges: Institutional Exchange Coordinator Office