Student life at Heriot-Watt
There are many strong links between Brazil and Heriot-Watt University. We have many long standing research collaborations with Brazilian Universities as well as organisations like Petrobras and other Brazil-based companies.
Heriot-Watt is also an active participant in the Ciência sem Fronteiras scholarship programme at both undergraduate and postgraduate research level in almost all areas of science and engineering as well as in the creative industries in our School of Textiles and Design. We have growing numbers of Brazilian students coming from all over the country both as part of Ciência sem Fronteiras and as direct applicants. You can read more about the success of the Ciência sem Fronteiras - Reino Unido in the UK, including mentions of our work in the International Unit.
Six Santander Scholarships, valued at £5,000 each, are available to support students enrolling on a taught Masters programme in September 2016 at any Heriot-Watt University campus.
Meet our graduates from Brazil
These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.
- If you would like to study in the UK and do not meet the entry requirements for our degree programmes, we recommend that you take an International Foundation Programme at Edinburgh College. Here you will sit Scottish Highers as well as studying academic English language. Successful completion of this will allow you to apply for a degree programme at Heriot-Watt and receive a 10% fee reduction off the first year's tuition fees.
- Foundation Programmes are also available at our Dubai and Malaysia campuses.
- Applicants who have completed their schooling in the Brazilian system would normally be required to complete a foundation programme, such as that from Edinburgh College, or from another provider before beginning an undergraduate degree.
- For postgraduate entry, applicants are required to hold a good Bacharel or Licenciado.
- For PhD study a Masters level qualification from a good university is normally be required. Applicants should also demonstrate some form of research experience.
Ciência sem Fronteiras - Reino Unido
- We would be looking for a strong GPA between 6.5 and 8.0 out of 10 depending on the grading scale used. We would also put particular weight on individual scores on core components of the programme being studied. For students applying for programmes in the Creative Industries section of Ciência sem Fronteiras, we may require an electronic portfolio of previous work.
English language requirements
If you do not meet our English language requirements, you can apply to one of our academic English programmes, which are specifically designed to prepare you with the language and study skills needed for academic study.
Tuition fees are listed alongside each programme in the online prospectuses.
Tuition fees are higher for international students. If you are unsure what your residency status is, you can complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess whether you have a relevant connection to the UK that might positively influence your fee status:
Learn more about applying for student support in Scotland.
Scholarships and bursaries
At Heriot-Watt we believe that a university education is an investment in your future. That is why we offer a generous package of scholarships to encourage and support well qualified, ambitious students to come and study with us. See the full list of scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.
Heriot-Watt University is participating in the Ciência sem Fronteiras scholarship scheme with dozens of undergraduate and research programmes open to scholars.
The following scholarships are available to all international students who choose to study at Heriot-Watt:
Our representatives in Brazil
We work with approved representatives in Brazil who can help you apply and enrol on your chosen programme. Find your nearest representative