Student life at Heriot-Watt
We pride ourselves on being an international university; international students make up about one third of our student population.
We currently have seven students from Botswana enrolled on Heriot-Watt University programmes.
Previous students from Botswana have studied:
Our Botswana alumni
Our alumni from Botswana include professionals in Botswana Ash, the Botswana Government Teaching Service, Human Resource Bureau and Tuke Concrete Products Ltd, amongst others.
Heriot-Watt students are able to come together to learn about and celebrate African and Caribbean cultures through our African & Caribbean Society. The Society is open to everyone and runs lots of different activities and social events throughout the year to celebrate diversity.
For more details on our application process, get help with your application.
These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.
- If you hold the BGCSE unfortunately you do not meet our entry requirements. You will need to do a Foundation Course elsewhere. We offer Foundation Programmes at our Dubai and Malaysia campuses.
- If you hold the BGCSE you will require a Foundation Certificate
- If you have completed one year at the University of Botswana you may be eligible for entry into Year 1 or Year 2 depending on your final grades.
- If you hold A-Levels or the International Baccalaureate, please consult our online prospectus for specific programme entry requirements.
- For most of our Masters level programmes we require a good first degree in a relevant subject area. In most cases this is the equivalent to an Upper Second Class Honours degree from a recognised university.
English language requirements
If you do not meet our English language requirements, you can apply to one of our academic English programmes, which are specifically designed to prepare you with the language and study skills needed for academic study.
Tuition fees are listed alongside each programme in the online prospectuses.
Tuition fees are higher for international students. If you are unsure what your residency status is, you can complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess whether you have a relevant connection to the UK that might positively influence your fee status:
Learn more about applying for student support in Scotland.
Scholarships and bursaries
At Heriot-Watt we believe that a university education is an investment in your future. That is why we offer a generous package of scholarships to encourage and support well qualified, ambitious students to come and study with us. See the full list of scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.
The following scholarships are available to all international students who choose to study at Heriot-Watt:
- International Fee Scholarships (School of Textiles & Design)
- International Scholarships Programme (School of Engineering & Physical Sciences)
- Chevening Scholarships
Students from Botswana may also be eligible for:
- Department for International Development (DFID) Commonwealth Shared Scholarship
- African Scholarship Programme
Our representatives in Botswana
We work with approved representatives in Botswana who can help you apply and enrol on your chosen programme. Find your nearest representative