English for University study
English for University Study programmes prepare you for advanced undergraduate or taught postgraduate study and research. You will study courses in Academic English and Research Communication to build your language proficiency within the context of your academic discipline.
Who are English for University Study programmes aimed at?
Students who plan to study a Heriot-Watt University degree programme at undergraduate or postgraduate level but need to meet their English condition. The programme is particularly useful if you have not studied for some time and you want to be sure you understand how to study effectively at Heriot-Watt University so that you get the grades you deserve.
Flexible entry dates mean you start your studies at the most convenient time for you.
September start (semester 1 and 2) – with IELTS 4.5 (or equivalent SELT) you can start preparing for degree studies with no need to waste time studying General English. You can improve your general and academic language proficiency at the same time as you explore ideas in your academic field.
January start (semester 2 and 3) – with a slightly higher language proficiency (IELTS 5.0) you will join students who started in semester 1 to expand your range of language and skills and build your confidence using academic English. Your classmates can help you become quickly familiar with the study environment at Heriot-Watt University.
Why choose our English for University Study programmes?
- Assessments aligned to the subject of your degree programme – making it easy for you to transfer knowledge and skills about Academic English to your degree studies.
- Introduction to graduate attributes – qualities such as an orientation to research and problem-solving and openness to learning and new ideas which you acquire when you study at university.
- Intensive timetable of study – 20 hours of study, regular writing and speaking tasks with feedback to improve your study and language performance.
- Innovative course design - The coursebook, Access EAP: Frameworks, was nominated for a British Council award for innovation in course design.
- Highly Trusted Sponsor – No need to retake a Secure English Language Test (SELT) at the end of the programme. If you pass all courses successfully, you can progress to your degree studies.
What will you achieve?
Upon the successful completion of our programmes, you will receive a Certificate in Higher Education with a recommendation to progress to your degree studies. This provides evidence that you have developed confidence in using English for study purposes. You will also develop your understanding of the research process and be able to critically evaluate published and unpublished sources and research results.