If you are close to meeting or you have met the English condition for your degree, this very intensive course can top up your language proficiency and raise your awareness of the way you will be expected to study in English.
For full details of our 6-week pre-sessional programme, please view our course booklet:
Dates and fees
July 2021 Intake - Applications closed for July 2021
- Start date: Monday 5 July 2021
- End date: Friday 13 August 2021
- Deadline for applications: Friday 18 June 2021
- Fee: £2,150
- Location: Entirely online or on campus
October 2021 Intake
- Deadline for applications: Friday 1 October 2021
- Start of teaching: Monday 18 October 2021
- End of teaching / assessment: Friday 26 November 2021
- Results released by: Monday 6 December 2021
- Recommended entry level: IELTS 5.5
- Fee: £2,150
- Location: Entirely online
- Undergraduate entry level IELTS 5.5 with no skill lower than 5.0
- Postgraduate entry level IELTS 5.5 with no skill lower than 5.5
- MSc Translating and Interpreting unconditional offer for the postgraduate degree
The ratio of examination to coursework is 45:55. You are required to achieve a mark of 50% overall for the combined coursework and exam components in order to be recommended to proceed to your degree studies at Heriot-Watt University.
Assessment for the Portfolio Pre-Sessional course is:
- Four practice writing tasks, which will be peer-reviewed with teacher feedback;
- an annotated bibliography to show that you can collect and evaluate sources in your subject area;
- a lecture investigation which involves working in a group to lead a seminar discussion;
- a reflective statement to show your awareness of what you have learned in the course;
- Timed formal exams in reading for writing and listening;
- a poster interaction presenting an academic perspective on a topic.
How to apply
Find out how to apply for a Pre-Sessional Academic English course.