10 week programme
If your English level is just below the standard required for your degree, this course will build your language proficiency and give you confidence that you clearly understand what is expected at university. You will prepare authentic academic tasks, such as a poster presentation and a literature review, and learn what critical evaluation means.
Dates and fees
- Start date: Monday 31 May 2021
- Reading week: Monday 28 June 2021 – Sunday 4 July 2021
- End date: Friday 13 August 2021
- Deadline for applications: Friday 14 May 2021
- Fee: £3,585
- Undergraduate entry level IELTS 5.0 with no skill lower than 4.5
- Postgraduate entry level IELTS 5.0 with no skill lower than 5.0
- MSc Translating and Interpreting IELTS 6.5 no skill lower than 6.0
The ratio of examination to coursework is 30:70. You are required to achieve a mark of 50% overall for the combined coursework and exam components in order to be recommended to proceed to your degree studies at Heriot-Watt University.
Assessment for the Passport Pre-Sessional course is:
- Four practice writing tasks, which will be peer-reviewed with teacher feedback;
- an annotated bibliography to show that you can collect and evaluate sources in your subject area;
- a literature review to explore a research concept in your subject area developed from your annotated bibliography;
- a poster proposal outlining the focus for your literature review;
- a lecture investigation which involves working in a group to lead a seminar discussion;
- a reflective statement to show your awareness of what you have learned in the course;
- Timed formal exams in reading for writing and listening.
For full details of the Passport Pre-Sessional course, view the course outline.
How to apply
Find out how to apply for a Pre-Sessional Academic English course.