Project (14 weeks)
If you need a longer period of study to meet the English language condition for your degree, this in-depth course will provide opportunities to improve your language proficiency through a wide range of authentic academic tasks, such as research proposals, literature reviews and case studies. You will learn how research is carried out and communicated at Heriot-Watt University.
Dates and fees
Start date: Monday 15 May 2017
End date: Friday 25 August 2017
Deadline for applications: Monday 24 April 2017
Fee: £5,020 (£2,510 discount from your Heriot-Watt degree)
- Undergraduate entry level IELTS 5.0 with no skill lower than 4.5
- Postgraduate entry level IELTS 5.0 with no more than one skill at 4.5
- MSc Translating and Interpreting IELTS 6.5 no skill lower than 6.0
Ratio of examination to coursework is 30:70. You are required to achieve a mark of 50% overall for the combined coursework and exam components in order to be recommended to proceed to your degree studies at Heriot-Watt University.
Assessment for the Project Pre-Sessional course is:
- Five practice writing tasks, which will be peer-reviewed with teacher feedback;
- an Annotated Bibliography to show that you can collect and evaluate sources in your subject area;
- a Literature Review to explore a research concept in your subject area developed from your Annotated Bibliography;
- a Poster Proposal outlining the focus for your literature review and case study report;
- a Case Study Report in which you apply the subject concept developed in your Literature Review to a specific case in the real world;
- a Lecture Investigation which involves working in a group to lead a seminar discussion;
- a Reflective statement to show your awareness of what you have learned in the course;
- Timed formal exams in Reading for Writing and Listening.
For full details of the Project Pre-Sessional course, view the course outline.
How to apply
Find out how to apply for a Pre-Sessional Academic English course.