Portfolio (6 weeks) at the BRIT Language Centre Thailand
BRIT Language Centre is an Approved Learning Partner of Heriot-Watt University and will be running their 6-week Pre-sessional Portfolio course in Bangkok. The course programme and outcomes are identical to those of the course run at Heriot-Watt University's Edinburgh Campus.
If you are close to meeting or you have met the English condition for your degree, this very intensive course can top up your language proficiency and raise your awareness of the way you will be expected to study in English.
Dates and fees
Start date: Monday 9 July 2018
End date: Friday 24 August 2018
Deadline for applications: Monday 18 June 2018
Fee: £2,150 (£537.50 discount from your Heriot-Watt degree)
- Undergraduate entry level IELTS 5.5 with no skill lower than 5.0
- Postgraduate entry level IELTS 5.5 with no skill lower than 5.5
- MSc Translating and Interpreting unconditional offer for the postgraduate degree
Benefits of studying in Thailand
- No need to take a Secure English Language Test (SELT) at an approved centre
- Save on visa extensions, accommodation and living costs in the UK
- If unsuccessful in achieving the required grade, still time to retake IELTS
- Progression results can be used to satisfy the English language condition at a variety of Scottish universities (ask for details).
The ratio of examination to coursework is 45:55. You are required to achieve a mark of 50% overall for the combined coursework and exam components in order to be recommended to proceed to your degree studies at Heriot-Watt University.
Assessment for the Portfolio Pre-Sessional course is:
- Four practice writing tasks, which will be peer-reviewed with teacher feedback;
- an annotated bibliography to show that you can collect and evaluate sources in your subject area;
- a lecture investigation which involves working in a group to lead a seminar discussion;
- a reflective statement to show your awareness of what you have learned in the course;
- Timed formal exams in reading for writing and listening;
- a poster interaction presenting an academic perspective on a topic.
For full details of the Portfolio Pre-Sessional course, view the course outline.
How to apply
Find out how to apply for a Pre-Sessional Academic English course.