Passport (10 weeks)
If your English level is just below the standard required for your degree, this course will build your language proficiency and give you confidence that you clearly understand what is expected at university. You will prepare authentic academic tasks, such as a poster presentation and a literature review, and learn what critical evaluation means.
Dates and fees
Start date: Monday 11 June 2018
End date: Friday 24 August 2018
Deadline for applications: Monday 21 May 2018
Fee: £3,585 (£1,793 discount from your Heriot-Watt degree)
- Undergraduate entry level IELTS 5.0 with no skill lower than 5.0
- Postgraduate entry level IELTS 5.5 with no skill lower than 5.0
- MSc Translating and Interpreting IELTS 6.5 no skill lower than 6.0
The ratio of examination to coursework is 30:70. You are required to achieve a mark of 50% overall for the combined coursework and exam components in order to be recommended to proceed to your degree studies at Heriot-Watt University.
Assessment for the Passport Pre-Sessional course is:
- Four practice writing tasks, which will be peer-reviewed with teacher feedback;
- an annotated bibliography to show that you can collect and evaluate sources in your subject area;
- a literature review to explore a research concept in your subject area developed from your annotated bibliography;
- a poster proposal outlining the focus for your literature review;
- a lecture investigation which involves working in a group to lead a seminar discussion;
- a reflective statement to show your awareness of what you have learned in the course;
- Timed formal exams in reading for writing and listening.
For full details of the Passport Pre-Sessional course, view the course outline.
How to apply
Find out how to apply for a Pre-Sessional Academic English course.