Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4435 8700
The School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences is pleased in offering PhD in Computer science by research to students on the Dubai campus.
Initially, those with an interest in undertaking a project in the broad area of computing are encouraged to apply. This may include different research topics as outlined in program content.
PhD study on the Dubai Campus will enable students to work with staff and students in Dubai in collaboration with a research group in Edinburgh performing high value and fundamental research in engineering. Students will be working under the supervision of an expert academic supervisor based at the Dubai Campus and supported by a second supervisor in Edinburgh. In addition to time spent doing research project work, students will engage with scientific literature and participate in research group discussions and meetings using electronic communications. On completion of the research project, students spend some six months 'writing up' to produce a final PhD. Once the thesis has been submitted, internal and external academics will examine the student’s work and knowledge of the PhD subject.
Research topics for PhD supervision
- Parallel Computing: Parallel evolutionary algorithms
- Evolutionary Optimization: multiobjective optimization and applications
- E-Health: the use of wireless sensor networks for health monitoring.
- E-Government: challenges and obstacles
- Big Data
- Data Mining
- Smart Communities
- CS Education
- Security: includes authentication systems, malware detection, and network security.
- Network: intrusion detection.
- Machine learning: its applications to security and networking.
- Operations/operational research
- Interested applicants should complete the online application form, making clear on the form that you are applying to study at the Dubai Campus.
- If you have any questions about the application process, contact Dr. Mohammad Hamdan (firstname.lastname@example.org) Associate Director of Research.
Applicants interested in our PhD opportunities need to submit the following:
- Copies of full academic transcripts from all previous academic degree courses and copies of certificates for degrees already awarded.
- Confirmation of funding source and/or confirmation of sponsorship/sufficient funds to pursue studies.
- A detailed research proposal.
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction during previous education, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.5. Other qualifications may also be considered.
- AED 75600 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.
The research proposal (normally three to four pages) should contain as much as possible of the following:
- Introduction or outline of the proposed topic
- Statement of objective(s) and/or specific research questions
- Summary of some of the relevant literature that supports the research objective(s)
- An indication of the intended research methodology
- An indication of the theoretical structure and/or conceptual outline
- A provisional timetable of the major phases of the research process
- Results expected from the research, e.g., practical value of the research or possible contributions to knowledge, policy or methodology. At this stage we are not looking for a definitive document but merely an indication that you have thought through most of the above issues. Please note that work submitted may be subject to screening using plagiarism software.