PhD study on the Dubai Campus will enable students to work with staff and students in Dubai in collaboration with a research group in Edinburgh performing high value and fundamental research in Computer Science. Industry-based applied research can also be pursued if the right circumstances are available. Students will be working under the supervision of an expert academic supervisor based at the Dubai campus and supported by a second supervisor in Edinburgh, with the option of having a third supervisor if needed. In addition to time spent doing research project work, students will review scientific literature and participate in research group discussions and meetings. Students will also be expected to publish their work in high impact journals. On completion of the research project, students spend some six months 'writing up' to produce a final PhD. Once the thesis has been submitted, internal and external academics will examine the student’s work and knowledge of the PhD subject.
Research topics for PhD supervision
Research areas and topics of interest may include: ( but are not limited to)
- Predictive Analytics and Big Data Analytics
- Semantic Technologies
- Mathematical and Event-Based Modeling
- Applications in Smart Cities, Healthcare, IoT, Logistics, Energy and Construction
- Machine Learning / Deep learning / Trust based AI
- Natural Language Processing and Text Analytics
- Parallel and Evolutionary Computing
- Intelligent Interactions
- Applications in Healthcare, Robotics, Sentiment Analysis, Social Profiling and Education
- Malware Detection using Machine Learning
- Access Control Systems
- P2P Security
- Forensics and Cybersecurity
- Interested applicants should complete the online application form, making clear on the form that you are applying to study at the Dubai Campus.
- If you have any questions about the application process, contact Dr. Neamat El Gayar (firstname.lastname@example.org) Associate Director of Research.
Applicants interested in our PhD opportunities need to submit the following:
- Copies of full academic transcripts from all previous academic degree courses and copies of certificates for degrees already awarded.
- Confirmation of funding source and/or confirmation of sponsorship/sufficient funds to pursue studies.
- A detailed research proposal.
English language requirements
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Fee waiver scholarships
Currently, a limited number of scholarships for fee waivers are available for new PhD students who can undertake various teaching tasks at undergraduate level, at a minimum of 400hrs/year.
The deadline to apply for this type of scholarship is 21 August 2019.
For further details, please email Dr. Neamat El Gayar, Associate Director of Research at email@example.com
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.