Information about Clearing
Here's some key information about how Clearing works.
What are Clearing and Adjustment?
Clearing is an application service available between July and September used by applicants who have received their exam results. Every year around 10% of students get into university through clearing and it can help applicants without a place to find suitable vacancies on higher education courses.
Further information can be found at the UCAS Clearing website.
There is also the Adjustment process. This gives students who have done better than expected a short period of time to reconsider their options, whilst having the security of holding on to their Unconditional Firm (UF) choice offer.
In order to be eligible you must have met and exceeded the conditions of your Firm offer. If that is the case, you will be able to register for Adjustment, however this is only available for a five-day period, which begins on the date your offer becomes Unconditional Firm (UF). Some courses may already be full so we recommend speaking to universitie about possible vacancies first.
For further information please see the UCAS Adjustment website.
- 30 June 2017 If UCAS receive your application by 18.00 (UK time) today, they will send it to your chosen universities and colleges. All applications received after this date will be entered into Clearing.
- July 2017 Results published for BTEC and IB qualifications. Students taking these qualifications do not have to wait until the August Clearing process to confirm their place or check for vacancies.
- 4 July 2017 Last date to apply through UCAS Extra.
- 5 July 2017 Clearing opens.
- 13 July 2017 If you applied by 30 June and are waiting for decisions, universities need to send UCAS their decision by this date. If they do not, UCAS make any outstanding choice unsuccessful on their behalf.
- 20 July 2017 If UCAS receives all decisions from universities by 13 July, you need to reply to any offers by this date, and this includes those applying through UCAS Extra. If UCAS do not receive a reply from you, they will decline the offers on your behalf. This is the last date to make changes to your replies.
- 8 August 2017 SQA results are published and the Scottish Clearing vacancy information service starts.
- 17 August 2017 A level, GCE and Advanced Diploma results are published and the full Clearing vacancy information service starts. UCAS Adjustment opens for registration.
- 31 August 2017 UCAS Adjustment normally closes today, and the deadline for any remaining conditions to be met, otherwise the university might not accept you.
- 20 September 2017 This is normally the last date that UCAS will accept applications for courses starting in 2017.
- 30 September 2017 Clearing closes. You can still add Clearing choices in Track but you should contact the university to discuss vacancies first.
- 23 October 2017 This is the last date to add a Clearing choice. It is also the last date a university or college can accept a Clearing applicant.
If you need to get in touch with Heriot-Watt, we have people to help you available on the phone when results come out.
Our Clearing helpline phone number is +44 (0)131 322 3222.
|Highers||8-9 Aug 2017||9am–5pm|
|A levels||17 Aug 2017||7am–9pm|
|A levels||18 Aug 2017||8am–6pm|
|A levels||19–20 Aug 2017||10am–4pm|
Student Room discussions
Find out more at The Student Room to see what's being discussed!