Hiring your gown from Ede and Ravenscroft
* Please note that access to the Ede and Ravenscroft website for gown hire will open on 1st October 2019 *
Students attending a graduation ceremony must hire an academic robe and hood. These must be obtained from Ede and Ravenscroft Ltd and this is a requirement if you wish to attend the ceremony. All gown hire arrangements and payments must be made directly with Ede and Ravenscroft Ltd. You can access the Ede and Ravenscroft website or telephone them on +44 (0)1223 861854, Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm.
Note: All gowns must be returned to Ede and Ravenscroft Ltd.
Please note that the University is not responsible for the hiring of robes or the return of robes after the ceremonies. If the weather is wet, graduates are requested not to wear hoods in the rain.
Selecting the appropriate gown and hood
Graduands should hire/purchase the gown and hood appropriate to the Degree, Diploma or Certificate awarded (see tables below).
Gown for all Taught Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates:
- Black with long closed sleeves
Colour of Hood for all Schools/Institutions
Gowns for Postgraduate Research degrees:
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA): Magenta with open sleeves
- Doctor of Engineering (EngD): Magenta with open sleeves
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): Magenta with open sleeves
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil): Black with long closed sleeves
Colour of Hood for Postgraduate Research Degrees
|Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)||Magenta||White||N/A||N/A|
|Doctor of Engineering (EngD)||Magenta||White||N/A||N/A|
|Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)||Magenta||White||N/A||N/A|
|Master of Philosophy (MPhil)||Black||Magenta||N/A||N/A|
Mortar boards are not part of the academic dress for Heriot-Watt University and will not be permitted during the ceremony. However, you may wish to hire a mortar board for photographic purposes only.