Make sure to bring with you all the important documents that you'll need for your first few days on campus.

To complete your enrolment

To complete the enrolment process when you arrive on campus you must bring the following with you:

  • Heriot-Watt University Person ID. You'll find this on any recent correspondence from us.
  • Photographic identification, eg passport. You'll be required to show photographic identification to complete your enrolment.
  • Visa. If you are an international student who is subject to immigration control, you'll need to show your visa to complete your enrolment.
  • Financial responsibilities. You can scan and email your sponsor or funding letter (excluding SAAS and SLC letters) to If you can't do this, you should bring it with you.

To get your Police Registration Certificate (international students only)

If you hold a Tier 4 visa and are required to register with the police then you will have to apply for a Police Registration Certificate shortly after you arrive in the UK. To find out if you need to register please check the visa grant letter that was issued with your visa.

For students arriving in September and October, the International Student Advice Team will arrange for the Police to come on to campus so that you can register. You will be contacted during Welcome Week with further information.

Students that are arriving out-with September and October must report to the Nationality Department of Police Scotland, based in Fettes Avenue close to the city centre. 

When registering with the police, you need to bring the following items:

  • Letter from Home Office stating that you are required to register, which is the letter you receive when the passport is sent back to you (please remember to bring this to the UK with you)
  • your passport
  • your BRP card (if you have one)
  • two recent passport sized photographs
  • your Heriot-Watt University enrolment letter 
  • proof of your UK address
  • enrolment fee of £34 (cash only)

The department is open from Monday to Friday, from 9.00am - 12.30pm