Pre-existing medical conditions and vaccinations

Students from some countries, who are applying for UK visas valid for longer than six months, now require a certificate to show that they are free from infectious pulmonary tuberculosis (TB).

Refer to the UKVI website to check if you need to provide a TB certificate with your visa application.

If you are currently under treatment for a medical condition and are bringing medication to the UK, it is important that you get a letter from your doctor to confirm this, so you can present it to the Immigration Officer when entering the UK.

Most UK students will have been vaccinated against Meningitis C before they come to university. Although this is a rare infection it is very dangerous, and we would recommend that you receive the Meningitis C vaccination before coming to the UK. If you come to the UK without being vaccinated you should ask your GP (General Practitioner) to arrange this when you first
register with them.

For more information please check the UKCISA website

Registering with a doctor

In the UK you need to register with a doctor/General Practitioner (GP) every time you move to a new area. Once you have found your accommodation you should look for GPs in your area and register with one of them. You shouldn't wait to be ill or require treatment to register.

Students living within the City of Edinburgh boundary can register with the University Health Service on campus or with a local GP.

Read more about entitlement to healthcare in the UK including GP registration, dentists and health insurance.