There are a few things you should do before you arrive on campus in order to make the start of your studies at Heriot-Watt University as easy and enjoyable as possible:


These pages are specifically for new students and contain information on how to get here, session dates, events, and the many services on offer once you arrive. Take a look around to help you prepare for your first few days.

If you are an international student, you should also:

Enrol online

Enrolling online involves updating your personal details, uploading a photograph for your student identity card and selecting your courses prior to your arrival. If you are an international student subject to immigration control you will also need to enter your visa details. 

On completion of online enrolment you will be given access to your University email and myHWU student portal through which you can access many other services and facilities. Once you arrive on campus you will need to complete your enrolment which involves an identity check and collecting your student card. 

If you have not been given an unconditional offer, you may not be able to enrol online, but you can do this when you arrive on campus.”

How to enrol online

You can enrol online from 1 August 2019.


Login by entering your:

  • Heriot-Watt University Person ID (found on any recent correspondence from us)
  • PIN number (your date of birth)

The first time you login, you will be asked to change your PIN number. Please keep these details safe, as you'll need them the next time you login.

Upload a photograph

Please upload a photograph for your student identity card. This should be a clearly identifiable passport-style photograph taken against a white background. This will save you time when you complete your enrolment on campus.

If you can't upload a photograph when you enrol online, you can email a photo to

Check out your induction timetable

The events included in your programme specific timetable are mandatory. View your timetable.

Sort out your finances

It's important that you plan ahead to manage the costs of achieving your university qualification.

All students are charged tuition fees. You will either be paying your own tuition fees, or a sponsoring organisation or funding body will be paying them for you. You need to make sure that you have funding in place that will pay your fees in full before you enrol as a student. If you are being sponsored or funded, you must send the letter from your sponsor/funder that confirms this to, or bring it with you when you enrol.

Find out more about financial matters.

Let us know if you have or think you may have a disability

Let us know if you have a disability, including specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, a medical or mental health condition, a physical or sensory disability.

It is important that you let us know as early as possible if you have or think you may have a disability to give us time to put any support needs in place.

Find out more about the Disability Service

Ensure you are up to date with your immunisations

Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)

The number of measles and mumps cases in the UK is rising. To reduce the risk of outbreaks, the Department of Health recommends that all students coming to University have two doses of the MMR vaccine. If possible, you should bring details of when you had any MMR immunisations when you enrol. If you have not had two doses of MMR, or are not sure, please arrange to discuss with your GP/Medical Doctor. For more information, go to

Meningococcal ACWY Vaccine

If you leave school or college in the UK this summer, you should be offered the Meningococcal ACWY vaccine. If so, you do not need another dose. If you have not already been offered the vaccine, please talk to your GP/Medical Doctor about it before you start University. For more information, visit or 

Meningitis and septicaemia (blood poisoning) are rare but life-threatening diseases. They are caused by several groups of meningococcal bacteria – the most common types are A, B, C, W and Y. Young people have the highest risk of getting meningococcal disease. Students starting university for the first time are at an increased risk of MenACWY disease because they are more likely to stay in halls of residence and have more close contact with new students, especially during Welcome Week. You are eligible for the vaccine if you are under 25 years old and attending university for the first time. You may recently have had a MenC vaccine to protect you against meningococcal C infection but this will not protect you against MenW. Having the MenACWY vaccine after getting the MenC vaccine will not only give you better protection against MenC infection, but will also protect you against the other three meningococcal groups (A, W and Y).

It is important if you are an eligible university student, including if you are an international student, that you are immunised at least 2 weeks before you attend university to make sure your immunity has fully built up. You should contact your GP practice for immunisation from mid-August. If you did not get immunised before leaving for university you can register with a new GP practice once you arrive and arrange to get the vaccine there as soon as possible, ideally in Welcome Week and no later than 31 October. Further information is available from Immunisation Scotland or contact NHS inform Help on 0800 22 44 88.