In addition to scholarships and bursaries, there may be other forms of financial support available to you from UK governments, depending on your circumstances and eligibility. Find out more about financial support available.
It currently takes us four to five weeks to process hardship and childcare applications because of the high number we receive.
Student hardship funds
If you get into financial difficulty we can help. Please visit the Student Service Centre as soon as you can. We can provide advice on budgeting and administer the Discretionary Hardship Fund and the Childcare Fund.
Please note, the closing date for Semester 1 is Saturday 30 November 2019.
You must include all the information and supporting documents we ask for.
Any late or incomplete applications will not be processed until January 2020.
Discretionary hardship fund
The University receives money every year from the Scottish Government to assist students who are experiencing financial difficulty. Money is awarded for help with living costs (not tuition fees) and is paid as a grant. The fund is discretionary. To be eligible you must:
- be a registered student either full- or part-time
- be getting the largest student loan you are entitled to
- provide evidence of your financial situation, such as current bank statements; and
- show that you have tried to budget your finances.
If you are a home full-time student and in receipt of the full student loan you are entitled to, you can apply for assistance to help pay formal registered childcare costs.
The University has set up a fund to assist international students who get into financial difficulty. Money may be awarded for help with living costs (not tuition fees) and is paid as a grant. The fund is discretionary and limited. To be eligible you must:
- be a registered student
- provide evidence of your financial situation, such as current bank statements
- show that you have tried to budget your finances; and
- show that you have had exceptional circumstances that affected your financial situation.
How to apply for hardship funds
To apply, please use myHWU (student portal) and the ASK HWU tile.
Enter HARDSHIP and select.