In addition to scholarships and bursaries, there may be other forms of financial support available to you from UK governments, depending on your circumstances and eligibility. Find out more about financial support available.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, the processing time for Hardship and Childcare applications is currently around 4-5 weeks.
Student Hardship funds
If you get into financial difficulty we can help. Please visit the Student Service Centre as soon as you can. We can provide advice on budgeting and administer the Discretionary Hardship Fund and the Childcare Fund.
Please note, semester 1's closing date for applications to the Hardship fund is 30 November 2017.
All submitted applications must be accompanied by all requested relevant documentation. Any applications received after this date, or applications which are not complete, will not be processed until January 2018.
Discretionary Hardship Fund
The University receives money every year from the Scottish Government to assist students who are experiencing financial difficulty. Money is awarded for help with living costs (not tuition fees) and is paid as a grant. The fund is discretionary. To be eligible you must:
- be a registered student either full or part time;
- be in receipt of the full student loan you are entitled to;
- provide evidence of your financial situation through up to date bank statements etc.; and
- demonstrate that you have tried to budget your finances.
If you are a UK full-time student and in receipt of the full student loan you are entitled to, you can apply for assistance to help pay formal registered childcare costs.
The University has set up a fund to assist international students who get into financial difficulty. Money may be awarded for help with living costs (not tuition fees) and is paid as a grant. The fund is discretionary and limited. To be eligible you must:
- be a registered student;
- provide evidence of your financial situation through up to date bank statements;
- demonstrate that you have tried to budget your finances; and
- demonstrate that you have experienced exceptional circumstances which have affected your financial situation.
How to apply for Hardship Funds
To apply, please call into the office for an application form. We are in the Student Service Centre in the Hugh Nisbet Building in Edinburgh and on the 1st floor of the High Mill at the Scottish Borders Campus.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com.