Dr Baixin Chen
- +44 (0)131 451 4305
James Nasmyth Building
Roles and responsibilities
Dr. Chen teaches modules at both graduate and undergraduate levels within the Mechanical Engineering discipline, including Heat transfer (MSc), combustion and thermodynamics (BEng/MEng).
Dr. Chen's research is on theoretical and computational fluid dynamics of multi-fluids flows and microfluidics with applications in energy and environment engineering, 1).Greenhouse Gas Control Technology, especially in carbon dioxide ocean and under seabed storage. 2). Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and Lattice Boltzmann method (LBM) of two-phase/fluid plume dynamics with mass transfer in stratification, 3). Biofuel combustion and Fuel cell, and 4). Microfluidics.
The research projects funded recently, as PI, include,
- NERC: ‘Potential Ecosystem Impacts of Geological Carbon Storage (QICS)’. PI of HWU, £140K/(£1.2M) (NE/H013970, 2010 ~ 2013)
- FP7 Cooperation Work Programme, Energy on Topic ENERGY.2010.5.2-3: CCS – Sub-seabed CO2 Storage: ‘Impact on Marine Ecosystems (ECO2)’, PI of HWU, €295K/(€2.5M) (265847-FP7-OCEAN-2010, 2011 - 2015)
- NERC: ‘Study on Natural Gas Hydrate Growth Habit in Hydrate-bearing Sediments’, PI, £20k (2013 - 2014)
- Research Council of Canada, ‘Physical-chemical response to geomechanical processes during geologic sequestration of SCCO2’ PI, £20k (2014 – 2015)
- Research Council of Norway: ‘Safety and Environmental Consequences of Unintended Releases from Offshore CO2 Pipelines (SECURE)’, PI of HWU, 2010~2014, £40K
- METI (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Japan): ‘Modeling of CO2 undersea bed storage’ Coordinated by JANUS, Japan, PI of HWU. 2009~2013; JPY 3.0 millions (~ £28.8K).
• M. Dewar, W. Wei, D. McNeil, and B. Chen* (2013). Prediction of near-field physiochemical impact of leaked CO2 on North-sea. Marine Pollution Bulletin 73 (2013) 504–515
• Alghane, M., B. Chen*, Y.Q. Fu, Y. Li, J. K. Luo, and A.J. Walton (2012). Hydrodynamic nonlinearity phenomena induced by Rayleigh surface acoustic wave. PHYSICAL REVIEW E 86, 056304.
• Alghane, M., B. Chen*, Y.Q. Fu, Y. Li, J. K. Luo, and A.J. Walton (2012). Scale effects on flow hydrodynamics of confined microdroplets induced by surface acoustic wave. Microfluid Nanofluid.
• Brewer, P. G., B. Chen, R. Warzinki, A. Baggeroer, E. T. Peltzer, R. M. Dunk, and P. Walz (2006). Three-dimensional acoustic monitoring and modeling of a deep-sea CO2 droplet cloud. Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, L23607. [Link]
• Chen, B*., Y. Song, M. Nishio, and M. Akai (2005). Modeling near-field dispersion from direct injection of carbon dioxide into the ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research, 110. [Link]
For a complete list of Dr. Chen's publications, please go to his research profile portal.
Prior to joining Heriot-Watt University, Dr. Chen worked as a Senior Research Scientist of National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) and Research Institute of Innovative Technologies for the Earth (RITE) in Japan since 1997 and as a Lecturer/Associate Professor/Professor in Dalian University of Technology in China since received his PhD in Mechanical Engineering.
Dr. Chen has served as Committee Member of Combustion Physics Group, IOP (2008– 2011), one of Lead Authors of IPCC Special Report on CCS (Chapter 6, 2003-2006), and member of the Editorial board of the J. of Marine Science and Technology. He was also awarded the President’s Prize of AIST, Japan in 2008.
He collaborates with colleagues of UK and International universities for QICS and ECO2 projects, and as visiting Professor at the Universities of Tokyo (2008) and Bergen (2009), the Guest Professor of Dalian University of Technology (2008~) and the University of Science and Technology of China (2006 ~ 2009). He is also the ‘Sea-Sky’ fellow of DUT (2012–2015).
Dr. Chen's research group “Environmental and Energy Fluid Dynamics” comprises currently 5 PhDs, a RA and annually 2-4 MSc students.
- Leading Author of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Special Report on Carbon Dioxide Capture and Storage, Chapter 6 Ocean Storage. (2002 – 2005)
- Editorial board of Journal of Marine Science and Technology (Aug. 2006 – present)
- Guest Professor of Dalian University of Technology, China (2006 - present)
- Guest Scientist of the Guangzhou Centre for Gas Hydrate, The Chinese Academy of Science (2004 - 2006)