Prof. Ajoy Kar
- +44 (0)131 451 3049
David Brewster Building
- Mark D Mackenzie, Parama Pal, Ajoy K Kar, Sai Siva Gorthi, “Slanted channel microfluidic chip for 3D fluorescence imaging of cells in flow”, Optics Express 24(19) 22144-22158, 2016.
- Giorgos Demetriou, Henry T. Bookey, Fabio Biancalana, Eitan Abraham, Yu Wang, Wei Ji, and Ajoy K. Kar, “Nonlinear optical properties of multilayer graphene in the infrared”, Optics Express 24(12) 13033-13043, 2016.
- Demetriou, Giorgos; Bérubé, Jean-Philippe; Vallée, Réal; Messaddeq, Younès; Petersen, Christian R.; Jain, Deepak; Bang, Ole; Craig, Chris; Hewak, Daniel W.; Kar, Ajoy K, “Refractive index and dispersion control of ultrafast laser inscribed waveguides in gallium lanthanum sulphide for near and mid-infrared applications”, Optics Express 24(6) 6350-6358, 2016.
- Sean A McDaniel, Adam Lancaster, Jonathan W. Evans, Ajoy K. Kar and Gary Cook, "Power scaling of ultrafast laser inscribed waveguide lasers in chromium and iron doped zinc selenide", Optics Express 24(4) 3502-3512, 2016.
- Paloma Rodríguez-Sevilla, Lucía Labrador-Páez, Dominika Wawrzyńczyk, Marcin Nyk, Marek Samoć, Ajoy Kumar Kar, Mark D. Mackenzie, Lynn Paterson, Daniel Jaquea and Patricia Haro-González, "Determining the 3D orientation of optically trapped upconverting nanorods by in situ single-particle polarized spectroscopy", 8, 300, Nanoscale, 2016.
- A. Lancaster, G. Cook, S. A. McDaniel, J. Evans, P. A. Berry, J. D. Shephard and A. K. Kar, "Mid-infrared laser emission from Fe:ZnSe cladding waveguides", Appl. Phys. Lett. 107, 031108, 2015.
- Y. Ren, G. Brown, R. Mary, G. Demetriou, D. Popa, F. Torrisi, A. C. Ferrari, F. Chen, and A. K. Kar, "7.8 GHz Graphene-based 2 μm Monolithic Waveguide Laser," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, 21, 1602106, 2015.
- Debaditya Choudhury, John R. Macdonald, Ajoy K. Kar, “Ultrafast Laser Inscription: Perspectives on Future Integrated Applications” Laser and Photonics Reviews, 8, 6, 827-846, 2014.
- Haro-González, P., Ramsay, W. T., Maestro, L. M., del Rosal, B., Santacruz-Gomez, K., del Carmen Iglesias-de la Cruz, M., Sanz-Rodríguez, F., Chooi, J. Y., Sevilla, P. R., Bettinelli, M., Choudhury, D., Kar, A. K., Solé, J. G., Jaque, D. and Paterson, L, “ Quantum Dot-Based Thermal Spectroscopy and Imaging of Optically Trapped Microspheres and Single Cells,” Small 9, 2162–2170, 2013.
- Debaditya Choudhury, William T. Ramsay, Robert Kiss, Nicholas A. Willoughby, Lynn Paterson and Ajoy K. Kar, “A 3D mammalian cell separator biochip”, Lab Chip, 12, 948, 2012.
Professor Ajoy Kar has over 30 years of experience in studies of the nonlinear optical properties of materials and their applications. After completing his MSc at Delhi he joined the University of Essex where he developed his interest in Lasers and Nonlinear Optics. His current projects involve amplifiers for telecommunications, ultrafast all-optical switching in novel optical fibres, ultrafast optical nonlinearities in semiconductors, ultrafast laser inscription (ULI) of photonic devices that should result in novel optoelectronic devices and generation of white light continuum from visible to mid-infrared part of the spectrum.
Recently he is applying the principles of nonlinear optics to develop novel microfluidic devices for biophotonics applications. These devices will incorporate 3-dimensional optical waveguides, to enable sorting, growth, maintenance and assay of primary cells. The first cell sorter using ULI have already developed. He has pioneered Photonics Education in the UK and Europe.