Dr Gillian E. Pickup
- +44 (0) 131 451 3168
- Room G.10, Enterprise Building, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, United Kingdom
Roles and responsibilities
- Lecturer in Reservoir Simulation
- Deputy Director of PE masters programme
- Co-I on several CO2 Storage Projects
- Member of Technical Committee for the European Conference on the Mathematics of Oil Recovery
- Reservoir heterogeneity and modelling
- Reservoir simulation
- Simulation of CO2 Storage
For many years, Gillian was involved in a project to study the effect of reservoir heterogeneity on hydrocarbon recovery. In particular, she focussed on upscaling the effects of small-scale structures for use in larger scale models. From 2005-2008, she was a member of the Uncertainty Quantification Group and studied model complexity and error modelling .
Over the past few years, she has applied the knowledge gained in oil-related projects to investigate CO2 storage in saline aquifers.
Gillian has played a key role in the CASSEM and ETI UKSAP projects.
- 2010: Promoted to Lecturer, Heriot-Watt University. Currently researching into numerical simulation of CO2 storage.
- 1998: Promoted to Research Fellow, Heriot-Watt University.
- 1996: Promoted to Senior Research Associate, Heriot-Watt University.
- 1990: Research Associate, Department of Petroleum Engineering, Heriot-Watt University. Working on a joint industry project on reservoir heterogeneity (which ran from 1990 – 2002).
- 1981-1989: Various part-time positions, including part-time Research Fellow at University of Edinburgh, Open University Tutor and high-school teacher in Hawaii.
- 1977-1980: Scientific Officer in Institute of Geological Sciences (now BGS), geophysical support programmer.
- 1979: PhD in Astrophysics, University of Edinburgh.
- 1974: BSc(Hons) Astrophysics, University of Edinburgh.
In 2009 Gillian was awarded the SPE Aberdeen Award for Contribution to industry.