We provide over 650 open access student networked computers in labs and group study rooms across the Edinburgh Campus.
Cameron Smail Library
With 825 individual and group study places, there is plenty of space for you to study, whether on your own or in groups.
There is wireless access throughout, and networked PCs and printers allow you to access University-licensed software, online databases and journals, as well as other internet resources. When you need a break you can relax and have a snack at Dewey's cafe.
See the library floor plan attached (under Related documents).
Opening hours: - 6:00 am - midnight, 7 days a week
Staffed services: - Monday - Friday, 11:00 - 16:00
Located on the ground floor of the Hugh Nisbet Building this new supported study and learning environment will complement and supplement the Cameron Smail Library, providing more spaces for collaborative and social study.
The space provides: -
- State-of-the art digital learning and study facilities
- Over 200 seats offering a variety and choice of learning and study settings
- Collaboration and communication technologies, including screens which can be shared amongst users supporting a range of digital sources.
- Mixed study, with particular focus on collaborative learning facilities.
- A convenient accessible location.
- A support service during core hours.
The Learning Commons is located next to the Elements catering outlet.
The following rooms are available and can be booked in advance:
- 21 Individual Study Rooms on Levels 2 & 3.
- 2 Group Study Rooms on Level 2, each with space for 1 group of students
- Wardlaw room (James Watt Study Hub) : Monday to Friday 13:15 – 18:15 (teaching weeks only)
Each room is equipped with a networked PC, a smartboard, projection facilities, and purpose-built furniture
- 5 Group Study Tables (1st floor) with wall mounted monitors
To book Individual and Group Study areas:
1. Go to the online booking system
2. Select the times you require.
You will receive an email confirming the booking.
Rooms can be booked online up to 3 days in advance and are available for 3 hours per day.
- Monday - Friday 9.30am – 9.30pm
- Saturday – Sunday 10.30am – 7.30pm
Keys will be issued at the Service Desk on the 1st floor in the library. All keys must be returned promptly by the end of the booking time.
You can cancel your booking anytime via the confirmation email.
More information on rooms available for study during exam period (24th April - 19th May) at Study space update (Edinburgh campus)
James Watt Study Hub
- Wardlaw room: Monday to Friday 13:15 – 18:15
(teaching weeks only) bookable group study space.
Book via Book a room
- Catering facilities available
- Open to both undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Seminar rooms, study and social zones
See Postgraduate Centre for more information.
There may be times when teaching rooms are not in use. When a room is free it may be used for study. You can check room availability at Online Timetables
If you wish to enquire about making a room booking contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Study in the relaxed atmosphere of the union
- Offering a mix of seating, bars and catering
- All areas have wifi
- Bookable committee rooms - see HW Union, room booking for more information.
- Located across campus within each School
- Study and social areas often with vending machines nearby
Central catering areas
- From cafés to food courts – take your choice.
- All catering areas have wifi
See Catering for more information.