The Library provides access to over 48,000 journals and 200 databases.
Our electronic resources can be accessed on-campus and off-campus. Most electronic resources can only be accessed by Heriot-Watt staff or students. Some resources are free for public use.
- Staff should not use the VPN to access electronic resources
- Students do not need to use the VPN to access electronic resources.
- Most resources can be accessed directly from a HWU computer or a laptop using the University's WIFI service (Eduroam) - if you are on-campus just click straight through to the resource.
- Some resources require your Heriot-Watt UserID and password
You will need to enter your Heriot-Watt UserID e.g. abc123 and password to access the resources.
Independent Distance Learners
You can access the library's online materials from home or work from our Find Library Resources page. Enter your HWU UserID e.g. abc123 and password when prompted.
You may also have a local education or research library that uses Eduroam WiFi. If so, you can configure your device there then access HWU online library materials via their WiFi service
Password protected resources
A few resources still require an individual username and password.
The passwords required are listed on the Passwords page.
You will need to log in using your HWU UserID and password to access the passwords page.
- Your HWU UserID and password is the one that you use for Vision, HWU email etc
- If you have problems with your HWU UserID and password please contact the IT Helpdesk (ex. 4045, email@example.com).
- When looking for the login link in a resource, the wording can vary from resource to resource - it could just be Login, or it might be something like Institutional login, Shibboleth login, UK Federation login, UK Access Management Federation login - or maybe some other variation
- For some resources, before you can enter your UserID and password, you will have to select Heriot-Watt University from a list of institutions.