Edinburgh and Scottish Borders
Access for borrowing
- Students on Distance Learning courses
- Part-time students
- Students on placements
Access for reference only
- Full-time undergraduate students
When visiting your library of choice, take your Heriot-Watt University ID/Library card and your SCONUL Access registration email. Some libraries may also require a passport sized photograph. A list of participating libraries is displayed during the registration process. These include: -
- Edinburgh University Libraries: catalogue search
- Edinburgh Napier University Libraries: catalogue search
- Queen Margaret University Library: catalogue search
To search for items in specific local libraries you can also use Library Hub Discovery.
For SCONUL Access enquiries contact the Service Desk.
National Library of Scotland
Access to the The National Library of Scotland is available for Heriot-Watt University staff and students. The NLS is a legal deposit library receiving a copy of almost all books and periodicals published in the UK, plus many published abroad. It is a reference only library (items cannot be borrowed).
National Museums Scotland Library
The National Museums Scotland Library collection covers material from a range of subjects, including:
- Scottish history and culture.
- World-wide decorative and applied arts (including costume and fashion).
- Natural sciences.
- History of science and technology.
Access to the collection is reference only, and it is strongly encouraged that you make an appointment in advance. Only a small percentage of the collection is on open shelves, so we would advise that you check the online catalogue and contact the library in advance to make sure they have the material available for your visit.