Information Services Helpdesk and Desktop Support teams' prime function is to act as first/single point of contact for users requesting assistance with IT matters in the widest sense, and to directly support the university Professional Services e.g. Registry, HR, Finance, Organisational Development, Estates etc. and the School of Social Sciences.
The service is primarily focussed on University-owned equipment and services.
Where staff resource and time permits, assistance with personal devices may be provided, but will be limited to the following areas:
- Assistance in connecting to our services e.g. library resources, Vision
- Advice on Virus protection
- Connecting personal laptops to the university wifi service
- Accessing the Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Giving you basic advice on how you can install your own licensed copy of software e.g. Office; SPSS
- Fix hardware failures e.g. any repair that requires a device to be opened up
- Install software for you
- Solve communication problems in your home or residence – we may be able to advise, but your service provider will need to fix
- Provide support on software other than the standard packages we provide