In 1883 the Galashiels Manufacturers Corporation established classes in weaving, dyeing and chemistry to provide technical education in textiles for mill workers in the Scottish Borders, making it the oldest institution for textile education in Scotland. In 1889 this was taken over by Galashiels Burgh School Board establishing the Galashiels Combined Technical School.
In 1901 the Scotch Education Department took over technical education, allowing grants to the School. In 1909 a new purpose built building opened and in 1922 the Scottish Woollen Manufacturers Association took over the running, its name changing to the Scottish Woollen Technical College. A Production Unit was established in 1947, providing finishing for the local mills and profits were used to support the library.
As the tweed industry began to contract in the 1960s, the College changed the range of classes to include textile design for printed and knitted textiles, fashion design, garment construction and management. The College moved to a new Campus at Netherdale in 1965 and became the Scottish College of Textiles in 1968. Heriot-Watt University began awarding degrees for the College in 1989 and there was a full merger in 1998 when the College became the University's Scottish Borders Campus.
The archive of the College is held at the campus as part of the Textile Collection and includes Governors minutes, annual reports and accounts, photographs, student work and publicity material.