Key dates
1821 Edinburgh School of Arts, the world’s first mechanics’ institute, founded by Leonard Horner and Robert Bryson in Niddry Street
1836 First working class representative joined the Board of Governors
1837 Move to Adam Square
1851 Watt Subscription Fund donates funding to School as Edinburgh’s monument to James Watt
1852 School becomes Watt Institution and School of Arts
1854 Watt Club alumni association founded: Peter Slater’s Watt statue unveiled
1869 Women students admitted- thanks to campaign by Mary Burton
1872 Foundation stone laid for Chambers Street Building
1874 Mary Burton is the first woman to join board of Governors
1885 Merger with George Heriot endowment to create Heriot-Watt College
1887 First Professors appointed in Chemistry, Physics and Mechanics and Engineering
1902 The College becomes a Central Institution, teaching to degree standard
1928 Heriot-Watt College becomes independent from George Heriot Trust; Students’ Representative Council established
1966 Heriot-Watt gains University status by Royal Charter
1969 Riccarton estate gifted to the University by Midlothian Council
1971 Research Park opened: first university research park in Europe
1973 First phase of development at Riccarton
1989 Orkney Campus opens in Stromness
1992 Relocation to Edinburgh campus at Riccarton complete
1998 Merger with Scottish College of Textiles to create Scottish Borders Campus
2005 Dubai Campus opens
2014 Malaysia Campus opens
2016 University celebrates 50th anniversary of Royal Charter