Women's Engineering Society (WES)
The School of Engineering and Physical Sciences (EPS) and the School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society (EGIS) have joined together to arrange corporate educational membership of the Women’s Engineering Society (WES).
Both Schools are proud to have celebrated International Women in Engineering Day since the inaugural celebration in 2013. This membership cements the support we have for WES.
A diverse working group oversees our WES membership, with representation from both EGIS and EPS including UG, PhD, RA’s and different levels of Academics. The purpose of this group is to stimulate a formal working link between the WES and Engineering at Heriot-Watt and to promote, support and encourage activity which will enrich discussion amongst engineers at Heriot-Watt (both female and male) about equality of opportunity.
This membership allows all of our students, irrespective of gender, to hold student supporter membership. We span the six disciplines of engineering; Civil, Petroleum, Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical and Architectural. It's simple to join and as a student supporter you will have access to the following benefits;
- Supporting WES and its campaign for gender diversity in engineering, IT and allied sciences
- Being part of a network of women engineers, and using your resources to encourage others to join the profession
- Become a role model and spokesperson for young women
- Keep track of issues relevant to women's engineering events and news through our quarterly journal and monthly e-newsletter
- Obtain career help and guidance through our successful mentoring service MentorSET, or become a mentor
- Apply for one of our bursaries or awards
- Gain useful management by serving on our Council or as an officer in a Student Group
- Build practical skills by getting involved in our activities (become a cluster co-ordinator, join the editorial board, web management, fund raising, organising events and awards)
- Meet like-minded people at our annual events and enjoy working to build a stronger profession
- Build your profile at events and network into your next job
- Organise or take part in outreach events to inspire the next generation of young people and students
- Through our partnership with IET, register for IET events at members' discount rates, and use the facilities at Savoy Place London (including the lounge, business centre and meeting rooms), under the same terms and conditions offered to IET members (contact the office for further details)
- Use our social networking sites to connect to other members online (see the links at the bottom of every page)
- Feel confident that your membership subscription is being positively used to grow, encourage and inspire the number of women in engineering
We see our links to WES as part of a range of activities that support our Athena SWAN ambitions.
You can also find us on:
- Twitter: @HWU_WES
- Yammer: HWU_WES