Welcome to the Learning and Teaching Matters web page for staff. Here you will find updates on a wide range of learning and teaching developments at Heriot-Watt University, as well as key documents related to learning and teaching.
The page aims to:
- Highlight strategic initiatives related to learning and teaching;
- Promote new learning and teaching developments across the University;
- Signpost to key information. such as Briefing Papers, Quick Guides and Strategy documents;
- Engage our global community of staff in enhancing learning and teaching.
Learning and Teaching Awards
- Staff Awards: three annual Teaching Excellence Awards for staff:
- University Award for Teaching Innovation;
- University Award for Global Learning and Teaching;
- University Award for Teaching Excellence;
Information about the Teaching Excellence Awards, including criteria.
Download the Application form for the Teaching Excellence Awards: Closing Date: 2 February 2018.
- Student Awards: the Deputy Principal’s Award will be made to individual students for academic achievement/excellence
Read more about the Deputy Principal’s Award.
Student Portal (MyHWU)
The Portal represents a step change in the student experience by improving the way we communicate with our students around the world.
In response to the feedback we have received, we have developed a ‘one-stop-shop’ that enables students to access everything they need for their learning and education experience.
It is a tangible result of our continuous work within the Enhancing Systems and Processes project, one of the four Transformational Initiatives being delivered by teams from across all of our campuses.
It’s the first port of call for digital interaction between students and staff and when it’s fully integrates it’ll be how all digital communication across Heriot-Watt will take place.
The Portal will transform the student experience at Heriot-Watt – making it more global, innovative and connected.
You can view the promotional video for the portal.
- Personal Tutoring: Briefing Paper
- Personal Tutoring: Policy and Guidelines
- Personal Tutoring: Handbook
- Personal Tutoring: Information for Students
The following circulars emerged from the Learning and Teaching Board Away Day, March 2017:
- University Statement on Feedback on Assessment
- Assessment Procedures (Marking Criteria, Deadlines and Learning Outcomes)
- Engagement of Staff: Creating A Sense of Identity and Belonging for Students