Friday 28th October 2016 from 2.30pm
James Watt Centre (Riccarton campus)
Join us for an afternoon of presentations in celebration of 50 years of Heriot-Watt University within the Departments of Mathematics and Actuarial Mathematics & Statistics. The talks will look back at significant achievements and past activity within the departments, and look forward to the future.
- Professor Andrew Cairns: Director of the Actuarial Research Centre for the Institute & Faculty of Actuaries, renowned internationally for his research in financial risk management
- Professor John Hibbert: Co-founder of Barrie & Hibbert with over 30 years of experience in investment banking, asset management and insurance
- Professor Sir John Ball: Professor of Applied Analysis at Heriot-Watt University from 1982-1996, and now Director of the University of Oxford Centre for Non-linear Partial Differential Equations
- Professor Andrew White: Member of the Mathematical Biology Research Group, with research in evolution in ecological systems
- Professor Bernd Schroers and Dr Anke Wiese: Heads of Department of Mathematics and Actuarial Mathematics & Statistics respectively
- Professor Robin Knops: Professor of Mathematics at Heriot-Watt University from 1971-1999
Dinner will follow the presentations.