Physics is the basis for many areas in engineering and technology. A degree in physics opens up a wide range of career opportunities.
Below are some examples of roles and companies that our graduates have taken up employment with:
- Physicist, Schlumberger
- Systems Engineer, Leonardo
- R&D specialist, Coherent Inc.
- Medical Physicist at Leicester Royal Infirmary
- Teacher, St Columbas High School, Fife
- Sales Engineer, Melles-Griot Ltd
- Statistician, NHS Scotland
- Marketing for Casio Electronics
Inspired by the research experience gained in final year projects, many of which make use of our state-of-the-art laboratories, a substantial fraction of our graduates choose to continue their professional development by undertaking further postgraduate study. This can take the form of a vocational MSc degree or a research intensive PhD doctoral programme.
Read more about our alumni and how their experience at Heriot-Watt University helped them succeed in their career paths.