Dr Xianwen Kong
- +44 (0)131 451 3688
James Nasmyth Building
- Kong, X., and Gosselin, C., Type Synthesis of Parallel Mechanisms, Springer, 2007.
- Kong, X., and Gosselin, C.M., Parallel Manipulators with four degrees of freedom, United States Patent # US 6997669, 2006.
- Gosselin, C.M. and Kong X., Cartesian parallel manipulators, United States Patent # US 6729202, 2004.
Xianwen Kong received his B.Eng. in Mechanical Engineering from the Northeast Heavy Machinery Institute in 1987, his M.Eng. from Yanshan University in 1990, his D.Eng. from Southeast University in 1995, and his Ph.D. degree from Laval University in 2003. He was a Junior Engineer in the China Research Institute of Radiowave Propagation from 1990 to 1991, and an Associate Professor with Zhengzhou University from 1995 to 1999. Late in 1999, he spent three months as a Visiting Scholar at the Robotics Laboratory in Laval University, where he also worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow from 2003 to 2007. He joined Heriot-Watt University as a Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering in July 2007. His research interests include mechanisms, robotics, mechatronics and their industrial and biomedical applications at the macro-, micro- and nano-scales. He has authored or co-authored one monograph, two U.S. patents and a number of publications in journals and conference proceedings.
Editorships and other services
- Associate Editor, Mechanisms and Machine Theory (2007 - )
- Associate Editor, Open Mechanical Engineering Journal (2007 - )
- BSI Committee Member (2007 - )
- International Programme Committee, The 11th Mechatronics Forum International Conference on Mechatronics, Limerick, 2008
- Symposium Chair/CoChair, The 2008 ASME Mechanisms & Robotics Conference, New York, 2008