- +44 (0)131 451 8145
Room NG 22
John Coulson Building
Roles and responsibilities
Director of Study, 1st year MEng/BEng Chemical Engineering Programmes (Overseas Campuses)
Course Leader for B48BA Process Industries C
Lecturer for B47AB Process Industries B and B49CB Business Awareness, Safety and Sustainability
Dr. Yiu’s research interest focuses on the design and synthesis of multifunctional nanomaterials with applications in biomedicine, environment and catalysis. In particular, magnetic nanoparticles with multifunctional surface have been developed for gene therapy, drug delivery, MRI/fluorescence biomodal imaging for cancer cells, and enzyme immobilization. Other research activities include polymeric materials for antimicrobial uses, nanoporous carbon for energy applications, and nanoplatform for neurosceinces.
• A Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) Sensor System using Molecular Imprinted Polymer-Nanoparticle composites for Ultrasensitive detection of Pharmaceutical Emerging Contaminants in Fresh Water Sources (funded by the Royal Society, 2015-2018)
• Enzymatic Carbon Capture (funded by Scottish Carbon Capture and Storage programme SCCS, 2013-2016)
• CO2 utilisation for the synthesis of fine chemicals (funded by the Royal Society, 2013-2014)
• AMP-Gas consortium (funded by EPSRC, EP/J02077X/1, 2012-2015)
“Nanotemplating – Engineering the Nanocomposite Materials for the Future” Stanford Press, to be completed in 2012.
1. H.H.P. Yiu, Engineering the multifunctional surface on magnetic nanoparticles for targeted biomedical applications: a chemical approach, Nanomedicine, 2011, in press.
2. S.C. McBain, H.H.P. Yiu, J. Dobson, Magnetic nanoparticles for gene and drug delivery, Int. J. Nanomedicine, 2008, 3, 169-180.
3. H.H.P. Yiu, P.A. Wright, Enzymes supported on ordered mesoporous solids: a special case of an inorganic-organic hybrid, J. Mater. Chem., 2005, 15, 3690-3700.
Archival Journal Articles
4. C.I. Olariu, H.H.P. Yiu, L. Bouffier, T. Nedjadi, E. Costello, S.R. Williams, C.M. Halloran, M.J. Rosseinsky, Multifunctional Fe3O4 nanoparticles for targeted bi-modal imaging of pancreatic cancer, J. Mater. Chem., 2011, 21, 12650-12659
5. L. Bouffier, H.H.P. Yiu, M.J. Rosseinsky, Chemical grafting of a DNA intercalator probe onto functional iron oxide nanoparticles: a physicochemical study, Langmuir, 2011, 27, 6185–6192.
6. U.A. Joshi, J.R. Darwent, H.H.P. Yiu, M.J. Rosseinsky, Highly efficient visible light photocatalytic activity of platinum loaded nanocrystalline tungsten oxide for degradation of methyl orange with potential for wastewater treatment, J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol., 2011, 86, 1018-1023.
7. R.T. Woodward, C.I. Olariu, E.A. Hasan, H.H.P. Yiu, M.J. Rosseinsky, J.V.M. Weaver Multi-responsive polymer-stabilized magnetic engineered emulsions as liquid-based switchable magneto-responsive actuators, Soft Matter, 2011, 7, 4335-4340.
8. H.H.P. Yiu, H.J. Niu, E. Biersman, G. van Tendeloo, M.J. Rosseinsky, Designed multifunctional materials for biomedical applications, Adv. Funct. Mater., 2010, 20, 1599-1609.
9. H.H.P. Yiu, S.C. McBain, Z.A.D. Lethbridge, M.R. Lees, J. Dobson, Preparation and characterization of polyethyleneimine (PEI) coated magnetite-MCM48 nanocomposite particles for gene delivery, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. A, 2010, 92A, 386-392.
10. H.H.P. Yiu, M.A. Keane, Z.A.D. Lethbridge, M.R. Lees, J. Dobson, Synthesis of novel magnetic iron metal-mesoporous silica composite with high iron content using temperature-programmed reduction (TPR) with potential medical applications, Nanotechnology, 2008, 19, 255606.
11. H.H.P. Yiu, S.C. McBain, A.J. El Haj, J. Dobson, A triple-layer design for polypropylenimine-coated nanostructured magnetic particles and their use in DNA binding, Nanotechnology, 2007, 18, 435601.
12. S.C. McBain, H.H.P. Yiu, A. El Haj, J. Dobson, Polyethylenimine functionalized iron oxide nanoparticles as agents for DNA delivery and transfection, J. Mater. Chem., 2007, 17, 2561-2565.
13. C. Olariu, H.H.P. Yiu, L. Bouffier, Inorganic-organic hybrid nanoparticles for medical applications, in New Frontiers of Nanoparticles and Nanocomposite Materials – Novel Principles and Techniques, A. Oechsner Ed, Springer, 2011. (ISBN: 3642146961)
14. H.H.P. Yiu, K.K. Liu, Mechanical and magnetic stimulation for bone regeneration, in Biomechanics of Hard Tissues, A. Oechsner, W. Ahmed, N. Ali Eds., John Wiley and Sons, 2010. (ISBN: 3527324313)
15. M.J. Maple, T.D. Coombs, H.H.P. Yiu, Synthesis and applications of inorganic-organic hybrid nanostructured materials, in Nanocomposite Coatings and Nanocomposite Materials, A. Oechsner, W. Ahmed, N. Ali Eds., Trans Tech Publications Inc., 2008. (ISBN: 0878493468)
16. H.H.P. Yiu, Ordered nanoporous silica materials for biomolecular systems, in Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, W. Ahmed, N. Ali, A. Öchsner, N. S. Hussain Eds., Trans Tech Publications Inc., 2007. (ISBN: 0878494804)
17. H.H.P. Yiu, P.A. Wright, Nanostructured materials as a carrier for enzyme immobilization, in Nanoporous Materials – Science and Engineering, 849-872, G.Q.M. Lu, X.S. Zhao Eds., Imperial College Press, 2004. (ISBN: 1860942105)
Dr. Yiu joined Heriot-Watt University (UK) as a lecturer in Chemical Engineering in 2010. He received his B.Sc. in Chemistry from the University of Hong Kong, his M.Sc. in Analytical Chemistry from University of Salford (UK), and his Ph.D. in heterogeneous catalysis from University of Huddersfield (UK). He also worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of St. Andrews, Keele University, and University of Liverpool.