Gerald S. Buller
- +44 (0)131 451 3069
David Brewster Building
Prof Buller's research interests are mainly associated with single photon physics and applications, including quantum key distribution, quantum-enhanced imaging, time-of-flight ranging and depth imaging. He also has wider interests in quantum technology, semiconductor optoelectronic devices and optical thin film multilayer structures. Prof Buller heads a group of around twelve researchers and is Principal Investigator on a number of major research projects funded by EPSRC, the European Union and industry. Professor Buller is the leader of the Single Photon Group at Heriot-Watt University, and the group web-site can be found here.
- R.J. Donaldson,R.J. Collins, K. Kleczkowska, R. Amiri, P. Wallden, V. Dunjko, J. Jeffers, E. Andersson, and G.S. Buller, “Experimental demonstration of kilometer-range quantum digital signatures” Physical Review A, 93, 012329 (2016) (chosen as Editor’s Suggestion) See: https://journals.aps.org/pra/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevA.93.012329
- A. Maccarone, A. McCarthy, X. Ren, R.E. Warburton, A.M. Wallace, J. Moffat, Y. Petillot, and G.S. Buller, Underwater depth imaging using time-correlated single-photon counting” Optics Express, 23, (26), pp33911-33926 (2015) see: https://www.osapublishing.org/oe/abstract.cfm?uri=oe-23-26-33911
- R.J. Donaldson , R.J. Collins, E. Eleftheriadou, S.M. Barnett, J. Jeffers, and G.S. Buller, “Experimental implementation of a quantum optical state comparison amplifier” Physical Review Letters 114, 120505 (2015) see: http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.114.120505
- R.S. Aspden, N.R. Gemmell, P.A. Morris, D.S. Tasca, L. Mertens, M.G. Tanner, R.A. Kirkwood, A. Ruggeri, A. Tosi, R.W. Boyd, G.S. Buller, R.H. Hadfield, and MJ. Padgett “Photon-sparse microscopy: visible light imaging using infrared illumination” Optica, 2, pp1049-1052 (2015) https://www.osapublishing.org/optica/abstract.cfm?uri=optica-2-12-1049
- Gariepy, N. Krstajic, R. Henderson, C. Li, R.R. Thomson, G.S. Buller, B. Heshmat, R. Raskar, J. Leach and D. Faccio “Single-photon sensitive light-in-flight imaging” Nature Communications, 6:6021 (2015) http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/150127/ncomms7021/full/ncomms7021.html
- A.M Wallace, A. McCarthy, C.J. Nichol, X. Ren, S. Morak, D. Martinez-Ramirez, I.H. Woodhouse and G.S. Buller “Design and Evaluation of Multispectral LiDAR for the Recovery of Arboreal Parameters” IEEE Transactions on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, 52, .4942 – 4954 (2014) http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6672004
- Robert J. Collins, Ross J. Donaldson, Vedran Dunjko, Petros Wallden, Patrick J. Clarke, Erika Andersson, John Jeffers, and Gerald S. Buller, “Realization of Quantum Digital Signatures without the Requirement of Quantum Memory” Physical Review Letters, 113, 040502 (2014) (“Editor’s suggestion” and “Featured in Physics”) See http://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.113.040502
- A. McCarthy, N.J. Krichel, N.R. Gemmell, X. Ren, M.G. Tanner, S.N. Dorenbos, V. Zwiller, R.H. Hadfield and G.S. Buller, “Kilometer-range, high resolution depth imaging via 1560 nm wavelength single-photon detection”Optics Express, 21, No. 7, pp 8904-8915 (2013) http://www.opticsinfobase.org/oe/abstract.cfm?uri=oe-21-7-8904
- A. McCarthy, N.J. Krichel, N.R. Gemmell, X. Ren, M.G. Tanner, S.N. Dorenbos, V. Zwiller, R.H. Hadfield and G.S. Buller, “Kilometer-range, high resolution depth imaging via 1560 nm wavelength single-photon detection” Optics Express, 21, No. 7, pp 8904-8915 (2013) http://www.opticsinfobase.org/oe/abstract.cfm?uri=oe-21-7-8904
- P.J. Clarke, R.J. Collins, V. Dunjko, E Andersson, J Jeffers & G.S. Buller Experimental demonstration of quantum digital signatures using phase-encoded coherent states of light Nature Communications, 3, 1174, (2012) See http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v3/n10/pdf/ncomms2172.pdf
- M. P. Edgar, D. S. Tasca, F. Izdebski, R. E. Warburton, J. Leach, M. Agnew, G. S. Buller, R. W. Boyd, and M. J. Padgett, “Imaging high-dimensional spatial entanglement with a camera” Nature Communications, 3, 984 (2012) See http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v3/n8/pdf/ncomms1988.pdf
- A.C. Dada, J. Leach, G.S. Buller, M.J. Padgett, and E. Andersson, “Experimental high-dimensional, two-photon entanglement and violations of generalised Bell inequalities”, Nature Physics, 7, pp677-680 (2011) . See http://www.nature.com/nphys/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nphys1996.html
- P.J. Clarke, R.J. Collins, P.A. Hiskett, P.D. Townsend and G.S. Buller, "Robust GHz fiber quantum key distribution", Applied Physics Letters, 98, 131103 (2011)
- P.J. Clarke, R.J. Collins, P.A. Hiskett, M.J. García Martínez, NJ Krichel, A. McCarthy, M.G. Tanner, J.A. O’Connor, C.M Natarajan, S. Miki, M. Sasaki, Z. Wang, M. Fujiwara, I. Rech, M. Ghioni, A. Gulinatti, R.H. Hadfield, P.D. Townsend, & G.S. Buller, “Analysis of detector performance in a gigahertz clock rate quantum key distribution system”, New Journal of Physics, 13, 075008 (2011)
- G.S. Buller and R.J. Collins, “Single-photon generation and detection”, Measurement Science and Technology, 21, 012002 (28pp), (2010)
Prof Gerald S Buller was born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1965. He graduated with BSc (Hons) Natural Philosophy from the University of Glasgow in 1986 and PhD in Physics from Heriot-Watt University in 1989. In 1990, Prof Buller became Lecturer in Physics at Heriot-Watt University, was promoted to Reader in 2000 and made a Professor in 2006. In parallel, Prof Buller co–founded TeraHertz Photonics Ltd. in 1998 and founded Helia Photonics Ltd. in 2002. He remains a Company Director of Helia Photonics Ltd., which is based in Livingston, Scotland.
He was elected a Fellow of the Institute of Physics in 2002. In 2010, Professor Buller became a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. He was elected a Fellow of the Optical Society of America in November 2016. Professor Buller was the founding Head of Heriot-Watt’s Institute of Photonics and Quantum Sciences from early 2012 until September 2015 when he stepped down after being awarded an EPSRC Established Career Fellowship in Quantum Technology.
In addition to the EPSRC Fellowship, Professor Buller is a member of the management team, and workpackage leader, of the UK Quantum Technology Hub in Quantum Communications Technologies. He is a leading Co-Investigator in the UK Quantum Technology Hub in Quantum Enhanced Imaging. He has led an EPSRC Platform Grant in Quantum Technology since 2008, and is involved in a number of other major research collaborations. As Principal Investigator, he has raised over £10M in research funding contributions for his University. Professor Buller is also a member of the EPSRC Peer Review College. Professor Buller is leader of the Single Photon Research Group at Heriot-Watt, and has been the Principal Supervisor of 27 graduated PhD students.