Derryck T. Reid
Head of Photonics & Quantum Sciences Research Institute; Professor
- +44 (0)131 451 3652
David Brewster Building
Roles and responsibilities
Prof. Reid serves on the Ultrafast Optics sub-committee of CLEO Europe, the Fellowship Committee of the IOP and the EPSRC Peer Review College. He is a regular reviewer for several journals including Optics Letters, Nature Photonics and Optics Express. He is Programme Director for Heriot-Watt’s MSc in Nanotechnology and Microsystems.
Professor Derryck Reid leads the Ultrafast Optics Group, whose work concerns the development and application of lasers that produce pulses of light lasting for a fraction of one millionth of one millionth of one second.
Current work in Reid’s group is:
- the development of multi-Watt Yb:KYW femtosecond / picosecond lasers
- optical parametric oscillator frequency-combs and spectroscopic applications
- coherent optical pulse synthesis
- high-energy femtosecond optical parametric oscillators
- two-photon imaging and probing of silicon integrated circuits
- portable and simplified optical frequency combs
Reid’s group works closely with industry and has collaborated with groups in AWE, Renishaw, Coherent Scotland, DCG Systems, Selex Galileo, BAE Systems, NPL and Rofin, via contracts with a total value exceeding £1M.
More information on the Ultrafast Optics Group can be found at the group website: http://www.ultrafast.hw.ac.uk
Professor Reid is a Fellow of the Institute of Physics and has published over 100 journal papers and 3 patents.
Publications from 2008 onwards
- D. T. Reid, J. Sun, T. P. Lamour and T. I. Ferreiro, Advances in ultrafast optical parametric oscillators, LASER PHYSICS LETTERS, 7 (2010)
- T. Ferreiro, J. Sun, and D.T. Reid, Locking the carrier-envelope-offset frequency of an optical parametric oscillator without f–2f self-referencing, OPTICS LETTERS, 35 1668-1670 (2010)
- D. Jaque, N. D. Psaila, R. R. Thomson, F. Chen, L. Maestro, A. Rodenas, D. T. Reid and A. K. Kar Ultrafast laser inscription of bistable and reversible waveguides in SBN crystals, APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 96, 191104 (2010)
- E. Ramsay, R. R. Thomson, N. D. Psaila, A. K. Kar and D. T. Reid, Laser Action from an Ultrafast Laser Inscribed Nd-Doped Silicate Glass Waveguide, IEEE PHOTONICS TECHNOLOGY LETTERS 22, 742 - 744 (2010)
- K. A. Serrels, M. K. Renner, D. T. Reid, Optical coherence tomography for non-destructive investigation of silicon integrated-circuits, MICROELECTRONIC ENGINEERING 87 1785-1791 (2010)
- T. P. Lamour, J. Sun, and D. T. Reid, Wavelength stabilization of a synchronously pumped optical parametric oscillator: Optimizing proportional-integral control, REVIEW OF SCIENTIFIC INSTRUMENTS 81, 053101 (2010)
- V. Tsatourian, H. S. Margolis, G. Marra, D. T. Reid, and P. Gill, Common-path self-referencing interferometer for carrier-envelope offset frequency stabilization with enhanced noise immunity, OPTICS LETTERS, 35, 1209-1211 (2010)
- T. P. Lamour, L. Kornaszewski, J. H. Sun and D. T. Reid, Yb:fiber-laser-pumped high-energy picosecond optical parametric oscillator, OPTICS EXPRESS, 17, 14229 (2009)
- J. Sun and D. T. Reid, Coherent ultrafast pulse synthesis between an optical parametric oscillator and a laser, OPTICS LETTERS, 34, 854 (2009)
- N. Gayraud, L. Kornaszewski, J. M. Stone, J. C. Knight, D. T. Reid, W. N. MacPherson and D. P. Hand, Mid-infrared gas sensing using a photonic bandgap fiber as a gas cell, SPECTROSCOPY, 24, 46 (2009)
- K. A. Serrels, E. Ramsay and D. T. Reid, 70 nm resolution in subsurface optical imaging of silicon integrated-circuits using pupil-function engineering, APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS, 94, 073113 (2009)
- K. A. Serrels, E. Ramsay, P. A. Dalgarno, B. D. Gerardot, J. A. O’Connor, R. H. Hadfield, R. J. Warburton and D. T. Reid, Solid immersion lens applications for nanophotonic devices, JOURNAL OF NANOPHOTONICS 2, Article Number: 021854 (2008)
- R. R. Thomson, A. S. Bockelt, E. Ramsay, S. Beecher, A. H. Greenaway, A. K. Kar and D. T. Reid, Shaping ultrafast laser inscribed optical waveguides using a deformable mirror, OPTICS EXPRESS 16, 12786-12793 (2008)
- E. Ramsay, K. A. Serrels, A. J. Waddie, M. R. Taghizadeh, and D. T. Reid, Optical super-resolution with aperture-function engineering, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICS 76, 1002-1006 (2008)
- N. Gayraud, L. W. Kornaszewski, J. M. Stone, J. C. Knight, D. T. Reid, D. P. Hand, and W. N. MacPherson, Mid-infrared gas sensing using a photonic bandgap fiber, APPLIED OPTICS 47, 1269-1277 (2008)
- K. A. Serrels, E. Ramsay, R. J. Warburton and D. T. Reid, Nanoscale optical microscopy in the vectorial focusing regime, NATURE PHOTONICS 2, 311 - 314 (2008)
- Jing Hua Sun, Barry J. S. Gale and Derryck T. Reid, Control of the carrier-envelope phases of a synchronously pumped femtosecond optical parametric oscillator and its applications, CHINESE SCIENCE BULLETIN 53 (5), 642-651 (2008)
- L. Kornaszewski, M. Kohler, U. K. Sapaev and D. T. Reid, Designer femtosecond pulse shaping using grating-engineered quasi-phase-matching in lithium niobate, OPTICS LETTERS 33 (4), 378-380 (2008)
- D. T. Reid, B. J. S. Gale and J. Sun, Frequency comb generation and carrier-envelope phase control in femtosecond optical parametric oscillators, LASER PHYSICS 18 (2), 87-103 (2008)
- B. J. S. Gale, J. H. Sun and D. T. Reid, Towards versatile coherent pulse synthesis using femtosecond laser and optical parametric oscillators, OPTICS EXPRESS 16 (3), 1616-1622 (2008)
- A. M. Zheltikov and D. T. Reid, Weak-guidance-theory review of dispersion and birefringence management by laser inscription, LASER PHYSICS LETTERS 5 (1), 11-20 (2008)
Derryck Reid was born in Edinburgh in 1971 and graduated in 1991 from the University of Cambridge with a BA in Natural Sciences (Physics). He completed his PhD at the University of St Andrews in 1994 and held an EPSRC Advanced Research Fellowship there from 1997 until 2000. In 2001 he joined Heriot-Watt University as a Lecturer and was promoted to Professor in 2005.