Dates: 4-8 June, 2017
Venue: Shihezi University, Shihezi City, Xinjiang Region, China.
Under the Researcher Links scheme, the British Council and the National Natural Science Foundation of China will be holding a workshop on the above theme in Shihezi, Xinjiang, China on 5th-8th June, 2017.
The workshop is being coordinated by Heriot-Watt University (UK) and the Institute of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth, Chinese Academy of Science, and will have contributions from other leading institutes. We are now inviting Early Career Researchers from the UK to apply to attend this workshop. All travel and accommodation expenses will be covered by the British Council Researcher Links programme.
Scope of the Workshop
This workshop will initiate a research link between UK and China researchers in the broad research area of remote sensing and big data techniques for agriculture applications and acts as a catalyst to establish a long-term and sustainable scientific community in the research area. Through this workshop, we will learn form and respond to the needs of the Chinese farming community and discuss, deliberate and select specific research areas that underpin the research strength that respond to the critical needs of Chinese farming community.
Forms and Downloads
Programme: download the Workshop Programme (PDF)
Registration: download the Application Form (MS Word)
Call for participants: Call for Participants (MS Word)
Main Activities of the Workshop
4 June - Registration (whole day)
Participants will be picked up at Urumqi airport by the local organizer and transported to the meeting Venue.
5 June -Theme: Research Capabilities of China/UK partners
- Welcome by the organizers
- Keynote Speakers from UK/Chinese partner organizations
- Invited speakers from RCUK/British Council/NSFC offices
- Poster session by early career researchers and interaction with mentors and funders.
6 June - Theme: Interaction with stakeholders
- Visit Shihezi Agriculture Technology Park and its research facilities
- Invited speakers by the Director of the Park/Chief Scientist
- Meetings and discussions with scientists/technicians of the Park
7 June -Theme: Capacity Building and Sustainability
- Invited speaker from Surrey Space Centre (UK) on spaceborne remote sensing
- Facilitated discussion (1) on the researches to meet the Chinese needs
- Facilitated discussion (2) on the development of the network, funding opportunities and
- Elect a working group for future collaborations
8 June - Visit Shihezi University
(supported by the local organizer)
Visit University research labs
Other activities arranged by the local organizer.
How to get there
For UK participants, the suggested flight route is:
UK – Beijing – Urumqi. Shihezi
University is one and a half hours away by car. The local organizer will meet you at the Urumqi airport and provides transportation assistance during the period of the Workshop
The accommodation of all participants will be arranged by the local organizer on the campus of the university
Mr. ZHANG Ze, the Key Laboratory of Oasis Eco-agriculture, Xinjiang Production and Construction Group, telephone: +8618095983090; email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. HOU Tongyu, The Key Laboratory of Oasis Eco-agriculture, Xinjiang Production and Construction Group, telephone:+8613289938860 email:email@example.com